Miravision - anyone seen a set yet

Reaction score
Hey I believe Philips Miravision lcd sets are now out, anyone seen them yet?

How do they compare the the rest out there?

thats hope they look better in the flesh, cos the idea of a tacky frame around a high tech piece of kit looks pants. Cant help but think this is a wife friendly unit. It sucks bigtime

No, but I have seen some of these in the flesh at the Ideal Home Show last month which were very nice.

http://www.ultimate-sonics.com/ad_notam.htm

Pricing were reasonable with a mirror +inbuilt 5" LCD for £699 and a mirror with inbuilt 10 - 15 " (can't remeber which) for about a grand. The picture quality was atually very good and I would love a bathroom mirror for when getting ready in the morning. I'm always missing good features on breakfast TV. :(

The other good use for these would be in upmarket hairdressers for customers to watch while getting their hair done.

You've got to admit though, an LCD TV built into your microwave oven's door, now how utterly cool (and utterly useless! ) is that?!

:D

Today I went over to the Philips personnel shop to check out the MiraVision TV they have on demo. (58cm diameter)
Picture looked ok although it was no match for the new Philips LCD series with pixel plus 2, which was on display as well.

What really struck me was the reflection coming from the screen. Obviously it is meant to serve as a mirror with the TV switched off, but even with the TV on one could use it as a mirror!!

Please note that they had a prototype on display and the sales guy stated that the production models would be better. I guess all we can do now is sit and wait..

Ronald

My friend works in Shasonics in Tottenham Court Rd. He phoned me to tell me they were just setting their display one up and that its awful. He said the same thing, you can see too much of your reflection. Apparantly the only way of just watching without getting your image is to sit off centre with quite a wide viewing angle! Don't know how true this is until I check it out for myself.

Please note that they had a prototype on display and the sales guy stated that the production models would be better

Not sure that I believe that line as why would they have on display a prootype when shops are already receiving production units.

He also mentioned the new Philips with Ambi-light and nxt speakers was now on display. He said the design and asthetics are stunning, but the picture is rubbish and not on a par with the new Panasonic & Sony LCD's. Again, I think I need to see for myself, but its not looking good for Philips.

Thanks for the reply. No I was not thinking tacky markbigears, however practical. Our living room is of a minimalistic design with a few wall paintings - I wish to mount the lcd above the fireplace - however as the room is small a mirror above the fireplace too will give the illusion of space (I am also thining of selling potential of the property is a few years)........... hence when I read about the miravision it sounded a good solution. However would like such an lcd about 37-42 inches with pixel plus 2 with a fram to match that of my other wall paintings (built in nxt speakers would be nice hidden at the sides of the frame but no biggy as have a 7.1 channel speaker system too - prefer to reseve that for movies).

Anyway on another slant - how are people finding the new philips 42 inch lcd compares to the new pioneer quality-wise ? also any further news on the new panasonic pc300 model?

Tim Ashdown said:
My friend works in Shasonics in Tottenham Court Rd.
He also mentioned the new Philips with Ambi-light and nxt speakers was now on display. He said the design and asthetics are stunning, but the picture is rubbish and not on a par with the new Panasonic & Sony LCD's.

A shop like that would most likely use a twenty pee composite cable found in a cornflakes box to set up their screens! ;)

I think I would have to disagree with that :) . They know a bit more than the average high street store if thats what you're comparing them with, but I suppose it depends who you speak to ;) . I'm not biased, its just a shop that I know that has them on display. And I also know my friend is well aware how to get the best out of a plasma/lcd. He said they were feeding it with a HK DVD-25 via progressive component, but I don't think the differences between Composite/S-video/Rgb/Component would affect the sort of problems that have been described. I could be wrong :blush: . But its horses for courses. For example, some people like the effect pixel plus has on the picture whilst others feel it makes the picture look processed and unreal.

A shop like that would most likely use a twenty pee composite cable found in a cornflakes box to set up their screens!

:rotfl: I wasn't aware Kelloggs made composite cables! :D They must be very grainy ;)

Theres some good info/pics here. I think its a fantastic concept. Especially the 'picture in mirror'mode. Whoever pulls it off effectively will sell a truck load. Philips also hopes to make a waterproof version for use in bathrooms.

HTML:
http://www.askshop.co.uk/miravision.htm

I haven't come across the Aquavision Mirror LCD's, I'll have to have a look.

At CEDIA next week there'll be plain mirror frames from a well know mirror TV manufacturer - no built-in LCD TV just the frame, glass and control unit. It'll be water-resistant for bathroom/kitchen installs and will eventually be available in plasma sizes to go round your Panasonic or Pioneer plasma!! Probably still reflect a little but if style is high on the list it should go down very well

Liam @ Prog AV said:
At CEDIA next week there'll be plain mirror frames from a well know mirror TV manufacturer - no built-in LCD TV just the frame, glass and control unit. It'll be water-resistant for bathroom/kitchen installs and will eventually be available in plasma sizes to go round your Panasonic or Pioneer plasma!! Probably still reflect a little but if style is high on the list it should go down very well
Obviously been speaking to the same people as me then Liam! :hiya:

I was looking at something totally different and stumbled on it in a demo room being packed for CEDIA!!! The guy was like "errr, you didn't see that", "what you mean the 22" widescreen mirror without a TV in it? Noooo, of course I didn't." ;)

Selfridges have now got a mirror TV (not sure which make) for £5000. It looks like a 42 inch plasma to me.

It's still reflective when in use so it has a rather limited market.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom