Miraculously my OLED survived a shattered glass TV stand...

Built To Chill

You'll never guess what I came downstairs to this morning... the top shelf of our hardened glass TV stand had apparently spontaneously shattered during the night!

Miraculously:

1) It did not happen during the many hours our baby spends on the floor right in from of the TV stand. She would have been covered in glass.

2) Our Sony AF9 OLED is ok. It dropped onto the centre speaker on the shelf below it, somehow perfectly balanced, where it was perched this morning!

The TV had only been set up like this for a month after a recent house move, and the TV stand had been kicking around our former basement for a few years. The unassembled shelves had fallen over at one point, perhaps weakening them. Furthermore, I originally acquired this stand 2nd hand from a TV dealer in London, 10 years ago, where it had been used in their showroom. So it's also possible something happened long ago to it, before we owned it. Important to mention because I don't want to make anyone unduly paranoid about using these hardened glass stands. It probably was user error...

This afternoon I will putting the TV on the wall...

tempImageG55Bn4.png

mikej

Wow ! You're lucky that chunky centre speaker was positioned where it was, otherwise your TV would have been trashed !

Built To Chill

Wow ! You're lucky that chunky centre speaker was positioned where it was, otherwise your TV would have been trashed !
Yes mate, so so lucky...

Also that the lower shelf didn't then shatter too, which could have been the Denon 4700 and PS4 pro trashed too!

Don Rogers Tash

You'll never guess what I came downstairs to this morning... the top shelf of our hardened glass TV stand had apparently spontaneously shattered during the night!

Miraculously:

1) It did not happen during the many hours our baby spends on the floor right in from of the TV stand. She would have been covered in glass.

2) Our Sony AF9 OLED is ok. It dropped onto the centre speaker on the shelf below it, somehow perfectly balanced, where it was perched this morning!

The TV had only been set up like this for a month after a recent house move, and the TV stand had been kicking around our former basement for a few years. The unassembled shelves had fallen over at one point, perhaps weakening them. Furthermore, I originally acquired this stand 2nd hand from a TV dealer in London, 10 years ago, where it had been used in their showroom. So it's also possible something happened long ago to it, before we owned it. Important to mention because I don't want to make anyone unduly paranoid about using these hardened glass stands. It probably was user error...

View attachment 1511402
What are the lottery numbers for tomorrow night please ?

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Is that a 3rd party desktop stand added to the AF9?

Your glass stand is probably too narrow for the AF9. The stand looks roughly 1.2m wide ? The AF9 is designed to rest all along the front edge of the screen and the speaker at the rear.

Incidentally what was the thickness of the top shelf glass?

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Cheapo stand from b&m?

Built To Chill

Is that a 3rd party desktop stand added to the AF9?

Your glass stand is probably too narrow for the AF9. The stand looks roughly 1.2m wide ? The AF9 is designed to rest all along the front edge of the screen and the speaker at the rear.

Incidentally what was the thickness of the top shelf glass?

Yes it is a 3rd party stand (from Sanus - the VTVS1). I never liked the lean.

And correct - stand was 110cm wide. It was 8mm thick BS6206b glass.

My logic may flawed but given I bought the stand 10 years ago, and considering the weight of plasma TVs back then, I always assumed it would have easily been rated for the 33kg of 55” AF9 with Sanus stand.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
"This afternoon I will putting the TV on the wall...into plasterboard walls using two M4 bolts"

Hehe

Built To Chill

"This afternoon I will putting the TV on the wall...into plasterboard walls using two M4 bolts"

Hehe

done now using my trusty Sanus Vuepoint F55C. Which, for the record, uses 4 x M10 8mm bolts 😂

Lots more cable management/tidying to do but here is first draft
5D6FBB7B-27ED-4EAE-93EB-B71FD5289189.jpeg

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I was doing some work at a house last summer and heard a loud bang. The neighbours garden glass table had spontaneously shattered. I wouldn’t trust glass furniture of any kind.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Yes it is a 3rd party stand (from Sanus - the VTVS1). I never liked the lean.

And correct - stand was 110cm wide. It was 8mm thick BS6206b glass.

My logic may flawed but given I bought the stand 10 years ago, and considering the weight of plasma TVs back then, I always assumed it would have easily been rated for the 33kg of 55” AF9 with Sanus stand.

So 8mm is quite thin actually. I would suggest you should always aim for 12mm or 10mm at a minimum to support larger TV's. I doubt that stand would have been originally designed to take the weight of a plasma. 8mm just wouldn't cut it. Perhaps more for a LCD flat screen of that era.

The front middle tier and top legs appear inwardly bowed. It maybe the trickery of the picture but legs should be entirely vertical otherwise it will severely stress the glass. I also notice you have used cardboard to act as the spacers under the front floor legs to compensate for an uneven floor? It's never a good idea to use a compressible material and a firm spacer is normally better as it won't deform.

Age is a factor but I supect all the above contributed more. Using that 3rd party desktop stand for this TV probably focussed all the stress in the middle of the top panel and the 8mm glass just eventually gave way.

It would have been under a constant stress over a period of time and then just shattered. It happens. In reality the screen dropped by around 1.5cm and landed on the center speaker.

Last edited:

Built To Chill

So 8mm is quite thin actually. I would suggest you should always aim for 12mm or 10mm at a minimum to support larger TV's. I doubt that stand would have been originally designed to take the weight of a plasma. 8mm just wouldn't cut it. Perhaps more for a LCD flat screen of that era.

The front middle tier and top legs appear inwardly bowed. It maybe the trickery of the picture but legs should be entirely vertical otherwise it will severely stress the glass.

Age is a factor but I supect all the above contributed more. Using that 3rd party desktop stand for this TV probably focussed all the stress in the middle of the top panel and the 8mm glass just eventually gave way. It would have been under a constant stress over a period of time and then just shattered. It happens.

Good advice but i imagine you can understand I will never be buying a glass TV stand again!

It is the camera by the way. All glass shelves are perfectly flat and always have been - there is absolutely no flex in them.

I’m not convinced the stand was a factor beyond accelerating the bad outcome. It creates a larger surface area than other 55” OLEDs with built in stands of similar combined weight - eg the Panasonic line. Bear in mind that when you mount the AF9 to a stand like this, you remove the pedestal weight.

Fair point re LCDs being of that era as well as plasmas, but I’d still be surprised if a tempered glass stand of this width was not rated for 33kg… but totally accept I’ll never be able to know not having the box or even brand/model.

Personally I think it was caused by one time the glass shelves fell hard on a concrete floor when we were tidying the basement, where they were stored for years. I was amazed they survived that and perhaps there was a tiny fracture I’d missed.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Yes it could be many things and you also used cardboard as floor spacers on the front legs. It all adds to the stress.

Never worth scrimping on a TV stand. If you spends thousands on the TV and equipment it always makes sense to buy a high quality stand to go with it.

OLEDed

Standard Member
On a side note having your center channel on a glass shelf is a bad idea. I guess not in this particular case though!

The Limey

Miraculously:

View attachment 1511402
Reminds me of an incident when my then LG OLED came off its wall mounting and crashed through the glass unit below. That TV survived too, despite the greater distance to fall!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom