Miracast

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Boostrail, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Hello

As you will see in the Tablets sub forum I started a discussion thread on this subject.

Whilst I think my appreciation of the subject has been greatly advanced I still find myself in a bit of a jungle.

The problem somewhat appears to be that the Tablet/Smartphone manufacturers seem to bury this functionality within their own "Smart name function".

However I have yet to successfully mirror 2 apparantly compatible devices.

I think it is time your professionals produced some guidelines on this functionality

TIA

Boostrail

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Not a professional by any means but Miracast is hardly even a standard. I'm not surprised you haven't managed screen mirroring yet since compatibility is a bit dubious

Wireless Display Standards Explained: AirPlay, Miracast, WiDi, Chromecast, and DLNA

Guidelines are likely to be have a go and good luck!! :)

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,881
    I have read this thread because it is in the feedback forum. Unfortunately I have no idea what this is about. I have never heard of Miracast.

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Yep the OP was in the wrong place but I thought I'd answer him anyway.
    Wireless streaming and mirroring that doesn't work very well most of the time :)

5. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,738
    I thought Boostrail posted it here because he was asking, with this line, if the reviewers could review miracast.
    I'll move the thread once I work out where it should go

Miracast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Many thanks. I am somewhat amazed at the lack of knowledge / awareness of this technology .

For me the ability to mirror device screen/audio to any device(s) I choose is an enormous benefit.

This can be acheived somewhat within the Apple "Airplay" environment but still assumes even a todays Smart TV is equipped with an "Apple TV" box. I do not buy Apple products on principle as the one I did buy in 2008 without warning completely wrecked 4 months work on audio tracks supporting edited family video. I also have other issues with the Apple closed source policy.

There seems to be a myriad of "EZCast" devices that claim to support Miracast. I Bought one of these to use with a non smart TV. It appears to generate its own wifi hotspot as it appears Miracast works on a peer to peer basis not via your wifi network. So do all so called Miracast compatible TV's generate their own wifi Hotspots?

Please realise this is not streaming. I can stream any non DRM protected video/audio from 2 Android phones/ 1 Tablet to any "even Semi smart" device in the house including the EZcast adapted TV.

The link provided by Outoftheknow above highlights the confusion.

I hope that AVF can influence the manufacturers/app suppliers of Phones/Tabs/Smart TV's/other smart devices (eg BRD's) as to get this to work right then they have a winner!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    As a long term member I am staggered! Forget 4K and OLED this is immediate technology.

This "to me" is it what I get on device A I can see easily on device B and C and D...

Or what I see on Device D i can see on device B whilst A and C are showing what A was showing originally!???

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  8. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,738
    Thread moved :)