Answered Minx min12/22

PCambo

Established Member
Reaction score
Upgraded my app last year to a pioneer vsx 1131 and while decorating living my sub broke. So ordered a replacement a minx x201. Only had the pioneer hs100 starter set. The speakers still work but would upgrading them to match the sub be beneficial. Was thinking 4 min12 and 1 min22 for center. This is for my living. Not a big room and only sit bout 2.5/2.8m from tv. Any advice would be great. Also I live stuff matching that’s why went with the minx.

I have a minx 201 and it’s a nice and powerful sub for its size. My living room like yours isn’t big and sit a similar distance from the tv.
I have Dali Zensor pico front and centre with 2 minx 22 speakers for my rear with the x201 and Denon 2300.
My system sounds great and I’m very happy but I’m not sure if having all speakers matching would be more beneficial, I was told as long as the front 3 were the same then the rears can be different. Try your speakers with the sub and if you’re happy then you don’t need to splash out more cash.

I'd be more inclined to go with 3x Min22's for the front and 2x Min12's for the rear to balance your front soundstage.

You could also add another pair of Min12's for Atmos duties or use your current Pioneers if you can mount them.

Just because you've changed the sub there's no need to change the rest of the kit and furthermore, it doesn't have to be the same brand or range, but I would think the CA Minx would be a decent upgrade over what you have, so would many other satellite systems though.

As MrTea34 has pointed out when changing speakers you'd normally match the front 3 from one brand and range and then the rear pair again as a set and the sub from anyone. So you could have speakers from 3 different manufacturers. Not everyone does this but you only really need to match speakers in pairs (or 3's for your front)

If I was you I'd first of all get a demo of the CA Minx to see if you're impressed enough and try to set up a demo of some other similar speakers such as QAcoutics 7000i, Monitor Audio Mass, Focal Sib Evo (if you're wanting to try Atmos these have it built into the front speakers) and I'm sure there are a few others.

Also, you could just buy the front 3 to start off with and use your Pioneers for rears and again Atmos duties if you're keen to try and buy more speakers if you feel they'd be beneficial.

Last edited:
Thanks for the the replies. I might give my pioneers a little run before I rush out to buy anything else. Just thought the sub is deffo an upgrade on the pioneer one so was looking to get speakers to go with that. Are the min12 not a good idea with the 22 for the front? Just we’re there placed I don’t think I can fit the 22’s. Will have to measure and check.

The 12s are fine for the L and R as long as you don’t expect very loud volumes, I have the 12s and a 22 up front and they sound great for the size and money, I also had the older generations too and will keep buying the Minx range as I like them a lot, if you need small then pick the Minx, they really are wonderful little things.

Adam.

What do you mean by loud? Sorry if that’s a stupid question. The speakers I have now are loud enough but just wanted to know wether the min 12s would be better sounding.

Basically will it be worth the money purchasing 4x min12 and 1x min22 and will it be a step up from my current speakers. I definitely haven’t got room for 22’s front right and left. Have Maja sound concept cabinet and 1cm short on the height of the 22’s

I've never heard your current speakers so I don't know.

Really before buying any speakers or AVR etc you need to get a demo somewhere, buying blind could lead to a lot of disappointment.

My current speakers are from a basic set. Think it was £150 for speakers and sub. Pioneer shs100

I read that and I'm sure the CA Minxes will be a step up, but I still haven't heard your speakers or the space they're used in, connected to your receiver.

My point about demoing new equipment is still the same.

Sorry being a pain. When I get a chance I will pop into store and have a nose. Thanks

They will certainly be better than that Pioneer speaker set you have, when I say loud they do go loud, but they won’t reach reference type levels I don’t think, I haven’t really tried to push them, but realistically a 3” driver can only do so much, however they do sound fantastic when paired with a nice sub.

Adam.

Picked up 3 min22 for front today. Just set up. Does sound clearer already. Ran MCACC and there down to -2 were the pioneers were +1.5 but did notice the sub went up a few dB to 6

Picked up another 2 yesterday for rears ready in time for game of thrones.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom