Minority Report

petrolhead

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got this on DVD

How did you find this picture?

What were your thoughts about the picture quality?

The reason I ask is that I was dissapointed as it was a little dreamy but maybe thats the way it was supposed to be as I am yet to look at the 2nd DVD

Same as the cinema, mate. Loads of grain. Seems to be Spielberg's thing at the moment.

Strange, has he's going forward in-time and not back i.e. Private Ryan (for that I can understand why he used a grain effect).

It's not really a bad picture, it's just hard to score it out of 10, because of the grain.

JD
PS. And at most times, it does have an high bit-rate.

All reports i have read indicate this to be 5.1 soundtrack yet on the DD track my av32r locks to THX-EX (7 channels "seen") yet DTS shows 5.1 (6 channels). Is this another incorrect flag?

Steve.

Originally posted by petrolhead
Has anyone got this on DVD

How did you find this picture?

What were your thoughts about the picture quality?

The reason I ask is that I was dissapointed as it was a little dreamy but maybe thats the way it was supposed to be as I am yet to look at the 2nd DVD

Picture quality is very good, but speilberg who is in his experimental stage used a number of different film stocks to give it a gritty look. I did a quick review of the disc last week.

As well as the (presumably intentional) grainy, contrast look, the R1 transfer of this has excessinve edge enhancement, which is an excellent way of spoiling the viewing experience esp. on large screens.

Why, oh, why do they do it?

Does the Region 2 version not have a problem with edge-enhancement ?

I've still got time to cancell my R1 order and get a R2 instead

Allan

Hello Allan

Don't have an answer to thta but did you get a new player yet?

I am also curious

I would gues that it enhanced the edges :D get rid of the jaggies.

Enligten us Allan P

In very laymans terms the effect of edge enhancement is similar to having the sharpness control on your TV turned up way too high - it produces a sort of halo effect around objects relative to their background.

It really is quite unnecessary on DVDs.

LINK !!

Originally posted by Allan Probin
Does the Region 2 version not have a problem with edge-enhancement ?

I've still got time to cancell my R1 order and get a R2 instead

Allan

No Allan

The R2 disc is very good quality, I didnt notice any E.E.

Buy and enjoy it!

JD

I also noticed edge enhancement halos on this DVD which seems to contradict the review at DVDFile, which mentions the absence of any edge enhancement.

It was this that prompted me to check my DVD player and start the 'Denon 3800 Sharpness setting' thread - I am not sure if my DVD player, or something else in my chain is contributing to my preception of edge enhancement.

I watched it last night, for the first time. I thought all the colours were washed out and the contrast was turned up too high. Turns out that how it's supposed to be!!

Didn't like the grainy effect, nor the colours and I absolutely despise the over exposed look BUT thought the film was fantastic.

The audio seemed to take on a very 'metallic' sound throughout the film I though, maybe this was another one of spielbergs 'effects'.

just seen it on R2 DVD. Grainy picture 'n all I loved it. The picture is not supposed to sell projectors/plasmas/tvs, it's supposed to sell the film. And that it did. The photography drew me in and within 5 mins I was not questioning my picture setting, I was gone in Speilbergs wonderful world.

This is what good film makers do. They don't try to sell kit, they make films. And thats why we're here, to appreciate 'as the director intended'. So good luck to Speilberg, Ridley Scott et al who just make good films, and we get to see them as they made them. Thats enough for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom