1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minority Report question (MAJOR SPOILERS!!)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by James45, Dec 23, 2002.

1. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw this at the weekend and thought it was an excellent piece of sci-fi, fairly seedy and nasty in places.
    One thing that's bugging me is John Anderton was set up to kill the guy posing as the murderer, the thing that exposed him was the pre-cog's vision.

Now it was the pre-cog's vision that set him on the guy's trail, so how could the pre-cog have had the vision if it was the vision that sparked the chain of events?:( :confused:

What caused the vision, as nothing would have happened if the vision hadn't occured.

2. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It wasn't the vision that sparked the chain of events it was the setup that did, thats why the pre-cog saw the murder. Because even if the pre-cog hadn't seen it the setup still would have happened. :)

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so you have to accept the set-up would have led him to the hotel room anyway?

4. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well maybe with the setup, they knew that the pre-cog would have seen the vision. After all it was only 1 of the pre-cogs saw it in the first place. Does that make sense? :)

5. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Can I just ask, I have seen this a few times (not with commentary though so may be in that) but has anyone else noticed teh 9/11 references (hotel room # case # etc)

I may be imagining it, and prob am!!

Cheers

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep think so... very impressed with the film may have to buy it.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely worth the rental price, I enjoyed it.

The best sequence, in my view, was also one that didn't quite make sense... they set up the 'eye doctor' with a motive to get his own back on Anderton but all he did was put some rotten food and milk in the fridge, hardly 'payback' was it? (especially considering there was also decent food in there too).

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    That is the whole point of the film!

I think in explanation it is more a deterministic version of fate, a kind of self fulfilling prophecy, John Anderton knew the pre-cogs are never wrong in their prediction of events, but they can be wrong in their interpretation or visualisation (hence the minority reports).

The vision was there because that event WILL happen, however the vision does not explain why it happened. The whole film is based around how the pre-cogs could be manipulated by creating a false premise.

The vision did not spark anything, the vision was created by a false set of information.

1) John Andertons boy was kidnapped and murdered.
    2) John Anderton was extremely disturbed by this (his drug addiction and marriage split up).
    3) Johns boss, knew the above.
    4) Johns boss, created a false person to pretend to be the killer of Johns boy.

Knowing that John is a high flying police detective, and with enough clues lieing around he would find that person, knowing his feelings towards his son, it is not hard to guess that he would want to get medieval on this guy. This is why the pre-cogs were able to predict it, however because of the falseness of it, John's boss was planning the murder a minority report occured. The bit in between is the greater part of the film. There is no explanation needed for the vision, it is a black box, you have information entering in, you have a murder at the end, but there is no in between, essentially the world that the pre-cogs live in.

The film gets real flakey in the last third where it gets all lame and mushy, but that is Spielberg for you.

9. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    now if ya dropped a pair of eyes , would they really roll ? or just splat on the floor ?

10. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    There was no minority report for the murder of "his sons killer", the minority report was for the murder of the pre-cogs mother.

I was impressed with the ending, the way John's boss neatly managed to solve the dilema between creating a situation where the pre-cogs are seen to be fallable or spending the rest of his life in jail.

Allan

11. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Neilo, prod your own eye!!!

It is quite sturdy, they do roll, well the cow eyes did in biology!!!

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But what was with the Hansel & Gretle type cottage at the end?!?

13. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    So the pre cogs are out of dream range.:confused:

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great film the ending was a bit Speilberg though

I didn't think he was getting his own back in this way. He was just a bit scummy in his food hygene habits. I know what you mean though if he wanted to get his back he could have done a lot worse

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Heh, I ain't seen the film since the summer!

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    The payback could have been he was told to leave the bandages on longer than he needed to (as did not the spider shine a beam in his eye too early, would this not have blinded him as it was under his allotted time), so just imagine how time would pass real slowly for you and your anticipation that would be nastier than the rotten food.

17. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I dunno I thought the whole eye transplant thing was pretty minging..... however it does really make you wonder why the doctor didn't just make him blind full stop.

18. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that's what was going to happen too. I didn't SEE the point with just a bad butty and some skank milk.

19. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think the mouldy food in the fridge was simply left there by the previous occupants - wasn't it just a 'safe' house ? Afterall, how long does it take for food to get that mouldy, certainly longer than the doctor had notice that the operation was required and couldn't, therefore, have had time to 'prepare' it.

Having said all that though, I'm still not sure what the payback was. If there wasn't a payback, why build up the script to expect one ?

Allan

20. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    I think I saw it as the doctor, seeing that the system that had convicted him, was now after his enemy, and that Anderton could defeat the system, he helped him out because if Anderton proved the system was wrong then it would make his conviction unsafe/wrong and he would be pardoned. Payback. I think?

21. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Mr Scientology reached past perfectly good sandwiches & fresh milk & took the rotten stuff by mistake ... I don't think Herr Doktor took any type of revenge at all.

Still, he was pretty mean to poor Tom ... did n't speak to him at all politely !

22. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

Or was the ending Andertons dream, as when he was put in containment the man in the jail told him something like "they say you have visions, that your life flashes before your eyes, that all your dreams come true"

This by the way was not what I thought of, but something a mate suggested when I said the same words as quoted above. Although now after seeing the same theory on some other sites I think there might be something in it.

23. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what?? now i never thought of that

have you been watch donnie by any chance?

24. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I took it that the Doctor was just as sadistic as masochistic; toward gaining insight into action/reaction both physically and mentally and therefore was 'sincere' in his appreciation from incarceration. The clearest insight into the doc's pleasure was in giving Cruise the neuro'in drug so's he'd relive his child's loss and the facial paralytic which he'd need and would hurt like hell.
    Though as Phil said it could've been his wish for the system to fail. Or MB73's mate suggestion as this was written by Dick who likes his twists ala Blade Runner is he isn't he? I too sat there pondering just how Cruise Missus conveniently got his eye. And the biggest foible is how come none of his security clearances were cancelled - they may have wanted to monitor him but would've closed off certain accessess at the least and known he'd no doubt go for the eye swap. Off topic a bit but I also wondered why the yocal sentry was in a wheelchair considering all the advancements in genetics. Whatever. A decent film.

25. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I watched it tonight and that bothered me too. True they may have wanted to monitor him, but when they had caught him. Surely they would have cancelled them then. Because there would be no need for them anymore.

Did enjoy it though.

26. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    "Cruise Missus" found the eye with the gun (which was used to get him out of prison) along with all his personal belongings in the white box (which was given to her by Johns boss).