1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minority Report in DTS ES & DD EX

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Racquel Darrian, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Just read that the Region 1 DVD has DTS ES and DD EX.

Is this true and has the Region 2 the same?

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Region 2 has only 5.1 mixes of both formats (which are still extremely good). I'm unsure of what the R1 has.

3. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes.

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I've said this quite a few times on this forum and I'll say it again. If a film is mixed with EX/ES info, that is folded into the Surround Left and the Surround Right when the 5.1 mixdown is created.

I really doubt that the R2 mix will have the EX matrix info removed from the rear channels, and I've yet to hear any theatrically released 5.1 EX/ES soundtrack that has had the extra channel removed in its transfer to DVD.

The only way that the info could have been removed is if the soundtrack is remastered for DVD and the people doing it ACTIVELY get hold of a 6.1 master then throw away the EX channel and encode the remaining 5.1 to DD or DTS (if they recieve a 5.1 master from the mixers then the EX track will be intact). This is of course ludicrous as any dvd mastering facility that will ask for the 6.1 master will know what they are doing and not be throwing EX channels away!! (and the only reason to use the 6.1 master is to encode a dts-es discrete soundtrack onto the dvd)

If a film was EX/ES in the cinema, and you have a 5.1 version of it (irrespective of region) I'd say go ahead and engage EX/ES post-processing.