1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minor rant about too many posts

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Trumper1, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I spend most of my time on this website browsing this forum as it is such a good source of info for LCD panels which is really helpful because the market and panels, not to mention prices, are changing so quickly.

As the months have gone on there are more and more daily posts in this particular segment which in turn makes it harder to find the ireally interesting ones. This is made much worse by repeated posts on topics that have already been covered in earlier threads.

My issue is that not enough people bother to use the search facilty to answer their questions which would greatly reduce the number of posts.

Sorry to have a rant but this is such a good website/resource that it would be a shame to ruin it this way.

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I agree..........it is ironic that you have to add to the number of new posts in order to highlight this problem.

A Sticky on "How to make a Thread Post", which subtly refers to the search facility may help.

Or a Bold message on the instruction header section of the "Post New Thread" page. Along the lines of "Before Posting a New Thread, please click here for the Search Facility to see if a similar thread already exists".

3. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I run a busy forum, and in a desperate bid to reduce the number of double posts I added a BIG RED highlight at the top of the "new post" screen/input box reminding people (politely) to try and use the search facility (as suggested above). There are still double posts, but the number DID go down as a result, might be worth trying here?

Helping people to help themselves is the key I think.

Also, if there's enough moderators, I tend to find if a moderator does a quick search, and posts a few relevent links (but not all) and suggests using the search facilty (and how to use it maybe) users don't get upset at being spoken down to and just barked at with "use the search", but they (and others reading the post) are giving a good idea of how powerful the search engine is (maybe then closing the new duplicate thread).

Another tactic is for a moderator to merge all the "same" threads as and when they spot them, but that takes time, and can break the flow of current conversations.

Newbies can be scared off by people just saying "use the search", but regulars and more long term members get equally upset seeing the same subjects coming up day after day!

It's a tough one.

4. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think one of the problems is the search facility isn't very good (unless I aint using it right).

If I recall correctly, what it does is list all the threads with the term you are searching for. Now I don't find that particularly useful if some of the threads are hundreds of posts long over many pages. You still end up having to scan threads manually.

What would be useful is if people stopped posting one-liners saying "I agree" or with just the :clap: icon in it !! That would keep the number of pages down in threads and might encourage people to delve into them. Seeing a thread going on for page after page isn't very inviting and it is much easier to say sod it and post your question.

Dave

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Once you select a thread from your search selection you can then search again within that particular thread to find individual posts that match the search criteria.

6. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Or you could load a page, and use the browser search function to look for specific text on that page.... I scanned the old samsung thread in about 10 minutes using that...

7. snail

snail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Or alternatively, if you look at the bottom left of the 'Advanced Search' 'Search Options' section, check the 'Show results as - Posts' radio button, and your search results will show the particular post in a thread with your search criteria, rather than just the whole thread.

Snail

8. Dazzle

Dazzle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes there's an alarming rise recently on the number of newly created threads that are going unanswered or only having a few posts in them. It's hard too seperate the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

9. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have been a tad busy at work recently to keep a proper eye on things.

With the rise of the LCD market and the major reductions in prices we tend to attract a lot of new and younger members so the quality is questionable at times.

I'll try and spend a bit more time on closing duplicate and merging threads.

If you see anything that bothers you or needs sorting then drop me a PM