1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minor films that deserve decent releases!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Jan 29, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Everyone has films that they really love, and whilst not being overwhelmingly successfull at the box office or video, they still have a reasonable following. Such films, don't even need to be "cult" films either. Anyway, I was just wondering, what films would you really like to see on DVD, that fits into the criteria I have just listed? (Major titles by major directors can't be included, so no Star Wars, Blade Runner, Blues Brothers or Disney works in this particular poll, I'm afraid, though early films by major directors can be - e.g. Spielberg's "Duel".)

Here's my votes:
    1) "Tremors", with a THX-mastered print, and DTS soundtrack

2) "Higher Learning" - John Singleton's critically acclaimed movie about the lives of students at a US university.

3) "Three Colours Blue" / "Three Colours White" / "Three Colours Red" - each with a DTS soundtrack and THX-print, plus a 4th DVD of extras and behind-the-scenes material.

4) "Crocodile Dundee" - Yes, I still remember it, and still enjoy it, despite it being 13 years old now!

Any one else like to nominate any titles?

Pooch

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hm, difficult one but let me try:

L.A. Takedown - the (TV) prequel to "Heat" (also directed by Michael Mann), IMHO superior to Heat and I remember it to have a faster pace

(Prayer of the) Rollerboys - not sure if I would really buy it, but I quite liked it

Surely there are more, just can't get them together now ...

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Reiner,

I don't know if you are aware, but "LA Takedown" is available on Region 2 DVD, for about £9-99, from most high-street stores.

It's only a 4:3 print (seeing as it is only a US TV movie) and only has a stereo soundtrack, with no extras, but it still may be of interest to you, especially for the price.

Can I also add the following, to my list of "wants":

1) Gerry Anderson's deeply underrated puppet-detective series "Dick Spanner P.I.". As far as I can recall, only 2 fifty-minute episodes were ever made, and given a brief airing on Channel 4, but that's another DVD I wouldn't mind buying, if it actually existed.

2) All of these Gerry Anderson shows as well: Joe 90, Captain Scarlet And The Mysterons, and Terrahawks - Complete series on DVD, with remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 surround and picture, ala Thunderbirds!

3) Star Fleet - a dark sci-fi puppet show from Japan, that aired here in the UK in a dubbed version, on Saturday morning TV in the early 1980's. Characters included Leo Johnson, Dr Ben, Princess Lamia, a little yellow flying robot thing, and a huge fluffy white alien. I know the show was created by anime-maestro Go Nagai (he of "Devilman" fame, etc), and lasted for about 20-30 episodes, though I don't know how the original worked out. However, that would definitely be a cool retro series to own!

4) The rest of "My So-Called Life" on DVD! I really enjoyed this series, though some found Claire Danes character to be a right whinger. However....

Pooch

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 30-01-2001).]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of films spring to mind:

Final Countdown - Modern aircraft carrier goes back in time to just before the strike on Pearl Harbour, Dogfights between F14's and Zero's. Starring Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen.

Biggles - A modern day(80's) new yorker goes back in time(I dont have a thing for time travel, OK?) to meet Biggles during the 1st World War and helps him kick ass.More top dogfights. Star's no one famous.

And some Airwolf on DVD would be good too!

5. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, I'm cheating. [​IMG]

Not exactly a minor film as it was an Oscar winner, but I would be one very happy bunny to see The Accused appear as a DVD SE.

------------------
    Everybody be cool. YOU, be cool.
    --------------------------------------
    ptmbradley@yahoo.co.uk
    http://www.geocities.com/ptmbradley

6. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch! I thought you were only 18 or so? Have I misread something or confused you with somebody else?

How do you remember Star Fleet if I'm correct?!

I remember that (I'm 30) and thought it was tops!! I didn't see a whole lot of episodes, but I have these fond memories of it.

How about the complete series of Grange Hill... now that was something I had to sneak into the living room to watch as my Mum wouldn't let me! <LOL> Tucker Jenkins, that was his name I think, he rocked!

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

7. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I feel like Todd Carty is my brother! Grew up with the guy - Grange Hill, Tucker's Luck and now of course EastEnders!

Had a bit of a thing for Trisha Yates for a while...

Flippin' 'eck Tucker!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Everybody be cool. YOU, be cool.
    --------------------------------------
    ptmbradley@yahoo.co.uk
    http://www.geocities.com/ptmbradley

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Stuart,

I didn't realise my age was beign kept track of! :) However, to set your mind at rest, I am 23, and when I saw "Star Fleet" I was probably only about 6 or 7 years of age. I think that that was probably my first exposure to Japanese anime.

I also remember the original BBC1 airings of:

"Ulysses 31" (and Phillip Schofield & Gordon The Gopher creating song-lyric sheets that the viewers could mail in for!); "The Mysterious Cities Of Gold"; "Thunderbirds 2086"; "Thundercats"; "Dogtanian And The Thre Muskehounds" (with a fab theme-tune!) and also "Mask"!

Now they will definitely wring true for some of you out there!

Pooch

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the hint, Pooch, just don't have much access to R2 down here.
    And my DVD player is not even PAL compatible - but that will change very soon ...

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

10. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not quite what you had in mind, but I really wish they would release BABYLON 5, and soon.

11. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starfleet! I forgot all about that - that was the NUTS! Didn't the professor/captain (or whatever he was) get killed off near the end? I think I missed the very last episode... Oh yeah, and there were three spaceships that docked to form a fighting robot, DAI-EX (I think).

Them tune here: www.tv.cream.org/themes/starfleet.mp3

[This message has been edited by The Taskmaster (edited 02-02-2001).]