1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minolta, Olympus or Sony

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by rocketboots, Jul 12, 2004.

1. rocketboots

rocketboots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Have been looking at 3 cameras and wondered if anyone has any views, experience with any of the below.

Konica Minolta Dimage A2
    Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom
    Sony Cybershot F828

Many thanks in advance for you views, reviews etc. And if you had to choose one, which one would you go for?

Rob

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    These were 3 of the cameras on my shortlist last month.

I spent hours going through the reviews and ended up with a Minolta A1 as 5mp was more than enough and all of the 8mp cameras had users shouting about the noise.

My own thoughts are that we have now reached a stage where adding more and more pixels to the same size CCD are causing problems. The makers need to start looking at bigger CCDs or better technology instead of just squeezing what they have already got.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Of the ones you mention have you considered the Nikon 8700?
    I was thinking of getting a camera in that 8 megapixels bracket and that was the one that seemed to be the best, the only down side I can see compared with the ones you mention is the wide angle stats at 35mm instead of 28mm but has a got greater zoom up to I think 280mm.

As Networkguy says, and what I read is that there was a problem with noise creeping into the pictures and did not get that much better picture over the lower megapixel cameras.

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Garrett i'm sure you know by now that unless you're going to print pics well over A4 there's no need focus on mp's too much. For the last six months i've had my friends nikon D100 its 6mp(not my cam) , and the body is a grand alone. I've been taken pics with canon dx lenses. I'm a novice,i realise that. On saturday i bought a canon S1 , and to be honest i like the pics just as much. Ok i know the D100 in the right hands will show its class. But for your man on the street it would b hard to tell the diff

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Sean I will probably be going for a 4 megapixel camera myself I was just pointing out that of the 3 cameras he mentioned there was an other he should consider.

One of the reasons I would have liked a 8 megapixel camera would be for cropping wildlife shots but a good zoom would be as good if not better. Also I have been told the sensors are not as good in the 8 meg as the lower ones.
    I also found that proportionally the resolution in no as big as you think if you work it in a straight line

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nikon lenses not canon mate (said canon before)

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    It is you getting mixed up mate ;)

I was replying to the above point you was making, not camera makes.

Also explaining why I initially suggested a 8mp Nikon I was not recomending going for a 8mp camera.

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i know, i was talking about a mistake i made not you:laugh: I tell you what mate i'm well impressed with the S1, the image stabilizer is fantastic. I cant say enough about the camera. It's not as good looking maybe as the ixus range and its bigger, but as a camera its beats them hands down

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    No wonder I could not get what you was on about. Cross purposes talking about mistakes. :rotfl:

10. Daveryan

Daveryan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Konica Minolta Dimage A2 a month ago and can't fault it.

11. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    I went with an A2.

Seemed the best overall camera, noise isnt a real problem unless at low ISO.

12. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RobDickinson

How do you find the black and white on the A2 when you convert on the camera rather than afterwards on software. The reason I ask is I have noticed that on the images I saw, when compared to the A1 the contrast was nowhere near as sharp and the white balance seemed off. The subject and setting of the A1 and A2 prints were the same but the A2s noticeably lacked definition. This may however have been a one off incident, just curious as to your experiences when shooting mono?

13. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you want to shoot black and white, always post process, there are so many ways to get mono pictures with different looks to each.

14. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have a Minolta dimage z2 which I love , but now the minolta 7i is out which looks fantastic , check out steve digicams for the review!

15. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    The 7i was replaced by the 7Hi then by the A1 and A2 and yes, they are great cameras.

16. drlau9

drlau9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I have just been introduced by a friend into digital photography, but i'm interested on any really, I like surreal pictures. :) I am a beginner so bare with me :smoke: , From what I have read, all the cameras here wooops my cams ass and leaves marks right? I only have a Sony DSC-P92, And I was wondering what I can do with it? I know there are many modifications I can get for it like a bigger zoom lens, lens adaptor, flash module. What do I need, for taking surreal pictures? please help me. Thanx :lease: :clap: :clap:

Derek

17. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Derek,

Not quite sure what you really mean by 'surreal' pictures, but the beauty of digital photography is that you can take a perfectly normal picture and then play around with it as much as you like in a graphics package (Adobe Photoshop is usually considered the best). I'm sure that you'll manage, with practice, to get your photos as surreal as you want them this way.

So my advice is to keep your existing camera (for the time being) and spend your cash on some decent photo manipulaton software.

Hope this helps.

18. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for b&w, if that is your explicit intention when taking the photo: use filters, green to darken skin, red to lighten it, red to darked foilage and skies, green/blue to lighten, for increased general contrast add a wee yellow.

nikon 8700, bunch of arce, dreadful interface, sony, bad fringing on lens, canon 8mp pros1, nice but is it made by fisher price?. Best of bunch is minolta a1/2. Feels like a proper camera, manual focus ring, manual zoom, all photographic functions outside of camera body (no endless menus ala nikon). Don't know about the 8 over 5 debate.
    I'd rather see digital cameras adopting camcorder 3ccd style imagers, than unnecessarily high resolution.