1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minolta E323 advice ??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by arctorbob, Jan 5, 2004.

1. arctorbob

arctorbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking to buy £150 ish camera

Logic at this price point would seem to suggest Amazon's good prices for Canon A60 or Olympus C350 ( or even Canon Ixus II for £170 at a push )

However , my laptop has an integrated SD slot so , childish as it may seem , I really would like a camera that uses this format ( Canon is CF , Olympus is xD )

The E323 seems to answer every question correctly in terms of spec and price ( jessops @ £130 ) but I can't find many reviews.

Just wanted to check :

a) it's not a dog
    b) It's not missing any essential features

Cheers

2. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +806
  3. nagasakiblue

nagasakiblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought an E323 and I've not really used it enough to fully evaluate it. It does seem to be a great little point and shoot and it looks a lot better in the flesh than it does in all the pictures I've seen of it.

The EXIF data allows you to see what settings the camera used for each picture and a few times I have been surprised that it has used a lower ISO setting than I would have chosen. There are a number of scene modes and EV compensation but you never know what settings the camera has set and you can't set the ISO manually. I think this is common at this end of the market. The Cannon A60 is a similar price and offers a range of manual settings and overrides but is 2Mp rather than 3Mp so you have to decide what you want to use the camera for. I decided that I would go for the higher resolution rather than settings I'd rarely need. Only time will tell if I made the right decision.

4. arctorbob

arctorbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice : I'd bought it anyway and am really pleased with it ( not that I know anything about cameras )

My dad has a year old £450 camera and he struggled to find anything it does ( that he actually uses anyway ) that the E323 doesn't !

5. nagasakiblue

nagasakiblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a film SLR which I mostly use on automatic. What I do like on this is that it tells me the shutter speed and aperture which I can adjust if I want. I miss this on the E323 but I accept that it is a different sort of camera. It's horses for courses and I expect to be using the E323 in situtations where I wouldn't take the SLR just because it is so convienient.