1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minolta 7hi

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by tobias3, Aug 23, 2004.

1. tobias3

tobias3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    anyone had any experiences with one of these? Looking to buy one as it's the closest i can find to a dslr without breaking the bank!!!
    Also considering a fuji finepix s7000...

any views would be most helpful!

thanks

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello and welcome to the forums! :hiya:

I bought one of these almost exactly a year ago. I'm absolutely delighted with it. It offers so much control and flexibility. Output is excellent and the optics are top notch. My only criticism is that the EVF isn't brilliant for manual focusing as it isn't very high resolution. Are you aware that the camera has been supeceded twice? First by the Dimage A1 and now the A2. Both cameras use the same optics as the 7Hi but add a useful anti-shake feature (for those 200mm zooms!). Check out the review of the 7Hi here

Hope this helps ;)

edit: forgot to mention the 7Hi takes AA batteries (handy if they run out at an inconvenient moment... the A1 and A2 use a proprietary Li-Ion battery) also I personally would discount the Fuji, I'm not a fan of their Super CCD technology, in my opinion interpolation is not a good thing in photgraphy no matter how cleverly done.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've got the origional Dimage 7 and agree that it and its newer models (7i & 7Hi) are great cameras that are about as close as you can get to DSLR without the big money.
    The only down side of these cameras is the fact that they eat batteries at an alarming rate. But as RCT said they do use standard, make that cheap, rechargeable AA batteries. So you just need to make sure you carry at least 1 full set of replacements.

Mark.

4. tobias3

tobias3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    many thanks guys. I think i may go with the 7hi i think for the money. Does anyone know of any alternatives? ANything close to dslr would be a possibility.

Many thanks in advance and thankyou for the kind welcome to the forum!

5. tobias3

tobias3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    any other suggestions i could look at?

6. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 7i and largely agree with the previous comments - excellent camera but I,m having a few problems. (1) The EFV is pretty hopeless for manual focussing and I rely on the autofocus function. This is usually OK, but I just can't get the hang of the macro mode at either the tele/wideangle setting. I often resort to taking multiple shots using spot autofocus hoping for a couple of decent images, or shooting from short, normal, range at high definition and zooming in/cropping in Photoshop. Any advice? (2) The barrel/pincushion distortion at the 28mm equivalent is grotesque - particularly on architectural subjects. (3) I have an ongoing problem with blue sky burning out to white - mixed compositions, usually buildings and sky in background. The light here (Johannesburg, nearly 6,000 ft above sea level) is very harsh from about 10am - 3.30pm with extreme levels of UV and I've tried using Skylight and polarising filters but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Never had this problem with 35mm SLRs, but it is exposure issue? Can anyone offer any suggestions?

7. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi tobias3,

did you choose anything in the end?? i've been looking at the 7hi myself as an upgrade, looking at 2nd hand due to limited funds, but wanting something DSLR like.

Gary

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I'm thinking of selling my origional Dimage 7 as I now have a full DSLR. If interested then let me know.

Mark.

9. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info Mark, what would you be looking at for it? and what does/would it come with

cheers
    Gary

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    You have PM :)

Mark.