Minolta 50 1.7 or Sony 1.8

Chubster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Nice and simple, out of the two which would you go for ?

I'll swing that back round at ya......Why ?

I'll swing that back round at ya......Why ?

Half the price - built like a tank - great colour - what else do you need ? ;)

Jim

Nice and simple, out of the two which would you go for ?

Best price/performance ratio is the Minolta, there is absolutely no way that the Sony is twice as good.

Its only half the price if you get very lucky on Ebay....if not there is hardly anything in it and then you take the chance of getting a good one

The Minolta is slightly higher on Dyxum..but you take the chance on

So in that case is it better to get a lens that is brand new and has been specifically built for a DSLR or is the Minolta THAT much better ?

Its only half the price if you get very lucky on Ebay....if not there is hardly anything in it and then you take the chance of getting a good one

The Minolta is slightly higher on Dyxum..but you take the chance on

So in that case is it better to get a lens that is brand new and has been specifically built for a DSLR or is the Minolta THAT much better ?

You have to be very unlucky not to get one for £70 on eBay,

Ok...Well I have several on watch so will see how it goes....ta

On a side note, anyone had / got one of these, MINOLTA AF 50mm MACRO F2.8 ?

And how much would the taxi fare cost one wonders....:rolleyes:

Minolta is all I use, its an excellent lens. Except for longer range. I was debating wether to sell my DSLR gear which would include a 50mmm 1.7, but Im still not sure

I'm going to be the odd one out and side with the sony, there's a lot of sample variation with the minolta 50mm, sometimes you can get a great copy that's sharp wide open, but often not (i've probably had around 8 in my time and only 2 were great wide open, others were okay and in some cases downright disappointing). The newer sonys don't seem to have so much sample variation and are sharp wide open (even marginally outdoing the minolta 1.4 i had at the time).

Yes, the minolta has better build and slightly faster AF, but i can't cope with the idea of having a f1.7 lens which might have to be stopped down to f3.2ish before it's sharp. If you can buy from a trusted seller who can provide you sample shots wide open etc then by all means go for the minolta but you won't go wrong with the sony.

I'm going to be the odd one out and side with the sony, there's a lot of sample variation with the minolta 50mm, sometimes you can get a great copy that's sharp wide open, but often not (i've probably had around 8 in my time and only 2 were great wide open, others were okay and in some cases downright disappointing). The newer sonys don't seem to have so much sample variation and are sharp wide open (even marginally outdoing the minolta 1.4 i had at the time).

Yes, the minolta has better build and slightly faster AF, but i can't cope with the idea of having a f1.7 lens which might have to be stopped down to f3.2ish before it's sharp. If you can buy from a trusted seller who can provide you sample shots wide open etc then by all means go for the minolta but you won't go wrong with the sony.
So very true. A good copy of either would be perfect, and I have had about 5 MIN50F17's and 3 SAL50F18's and all have been great. I too would opt for the Sony if you can get one for say £90-100.00 used or a Min 50mm for say £70-80.00, though price aside, there's a cigarette paper between them, so you won't go wrong whichever you choose.

An arm and a leg :rotfl: or 75 of your English pounds. I'll be posting it up in a day or two in the usual places.

I assume this is one of the "good" ones you mention above....:rolleyes:

If your are actually selling I will take it off your hands next week if thats OK. We can either do a deal via PM or you can post on classifieds

:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom