Question MINIX NEO Z83-4, Intel Cherry Trail Fanless Mini PC

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

My Mini Mac is practically dead on its knees so I'm looking for a small computer to replace it. I'm interested in going back to a Windows based system rather than Mac, simply because of the cheaper pricing. I have seen the following available on amazon and also it has been given a glowing review on AVF.......

MINIX NEO Z83-4, Intel Cherry Trail Fanless Mini PC Windows 10 (64-bit) [4GB/32GB/Dual-Band Wi-Fi/Gigabit Ethernet/Dual Output/4K]

It runs 64bit Windows 10 and has all the required outputs that I require, inc HDMI (to connect to my Sammy 4k TV) and various USB inputs so I can plug my Canon printer into it. So web browsing will be a sinch but my main question is this. I have a 8TB powered external HDD. Will I be able to plug this EX HDD into it and be able to run my HD MP4 movie files/Music etc. Also I haven't used a Windows based system for years now and i'm wondering is Windows media player still available or have they let that go years ago. If so what are my options for a windows based equivalent to Apple's Imovie? Finally is this setups RAM and drive space big enough to instal an anti-virus without causing speed issues?
Thanks.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Try Kodi

Thanks. I had various kodi boxes and it installed on my mini mac. Sure it was Kodi that caused all my probs on my mac? I really want a mini pc and the above seems to be the ticket for my browsing and media playback needs on my home cinema. I want to avoid Kodi & Plex.
Once again thanks.

if you have problems with kodi, just uninstall it. You could try Plex.

Perhaps you need to consider a remote, to playback movies on the tv.

A word of warning, I bought a cheap laptop/tablet thing, it only had 32GB of storage, by the time I had set it up I had used about 20GB, doesn't leave a lot for other programs.

been using kodi and plex for years and no issues on my windows pc.

WMP does still exist along with software like powerdvd, vlc etc. playback will not be an issue for movies and music.

Do you have a budget in mind? you could build yourself a decent enough machine for not much more?

Well I can get the above machine for £160. Don't really want to go above that if this machine will do all I need (playback movies/music/tv shows off my ex hdd) and allow me to surf the internet, play youtube videos on my home cinema system.

Well for standard video playback and music I cannot see anything wrong with it and should not cause you any issues? only thing i'd be worried about is the remaining space on the drive. 32gb is not a lot so not sure how many programs you would be able to fit on there.

Thanks again. But I will connect my 8tb exhdd. Can I not install software onto that and run it on the pc, negating it's 32g internal storage? Or doesn't it work that way?

Thanks again. But I will connect my 8tb exhdd. Can I not install software onto that and run it on the pc, negating it's 32g internal storage? Or doesn't it work that way?

I believe it has to the OS drive but do not quote me on that. It's something I have never tried.

If the internal 32gb drive is not enough can anyone recommend an alternative below the £300 Mark?

If the internal 32gb drive is not enough can anyone recommend an alternative below the £300 Mark?

How about a Zidoo X10 or cheaper X9s ?

You may req Hdmi 2.0 for 4K support which the Minix does not have as still on Hdmi 1.4 and for a 2018 product is not good .

Last edited:
How about a Zidoo X10 or cheaper X9s ?

You may req Hdmi 2.0 for 4K support which the Minix does not have as still on Hdmi 1.4 and for a 2018 product is not good .
I'm not worried about having 4K support as long as I can watch my content in 1080p. I've read the reviews Inc the AVF one and it's both these positive reviews that have encouraged me to this mini pc. All I want is a platform to connect to my LED TV, so I can surf the web and be able to watch/listen to my digital content from my exhdd. Not after anything more really.

Then it seems there is no real concern other than the storage issue. As long as there are a few gb available i cannot see it causing you any real issues

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes I looked at the NUC 's but they are more expensive. Thanks.

I'm not worried about having 4K support as long as I can watch my content in 1080p. I've read the reviews Inc the AVF one and it's both these positive reviews that have encouraged me to this mini pc. All I want is a platform to connect to my LED TV, so I can surf the web and be able to watch/listen to my digital content from my exhdd. Not after anything more really.

My Zidoo X10 is all 1080p content in 5.1 and dts as my Monitor is only 1080p and the picture Quality is one of the reasons i purchased this machine .
And icing on the cake internal storage above 10tb plus ......
And Led display .
With a new great H.T.V2 Movie poster experience .

And future proof when and if you go 4K

I think DemonAV wants to use the device as a pc as well, ie with windows 10

Not sure this is relevant for you but the NEO Z83-4 can't support TrueHD and Atmos.

I was looking forward to reuse it with my new Denon X8500H but I got a bad surprise about the sound :(

Not sure this is relevant for you but the NEO Z83-4 can't support TrueHD and Atmos.

I was looking forward to reuse it with my new Denon X8500H but I got a bad surprise about the sound :(

Hence mentioned the Zidoo X10 a better option and future proof as such .

but it doesn't have windows 10

True but it does a hell of a lot more and spec wise also .
Depends what the op wants it for use it as windows or play movies ?

"All I want is a platform to connect to my LED TV, so I can surf the web and be able to watch/listen to my digital content from my exhdd. Not after anything more really."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom