MINIX NEO U9H VS nVidia Shield TV is the upgrade worth it?

SonyTony

Standard Member
Hi

I'm thinking of upgrading the MINIX NEO U9H to nVidia Shield TV Pro 4K or similar and hopping for some advise

Background:
Until recently I've been more than happy with my MINIX Neo U9H Running Kodi 19.1 matrix Installed on a SD card as I ran out of memory on the main device
Streaming content mostly 1080p & 720p at 23.9 fps Up to 5.1 audio from my Windows 10 PC / NAS

Then I bought a 4K LG-OLED55CX5LB, Denon DENO-AVRX2700 with some kick ass 5.1.2 speakers

I'm therefore starting to build my 4K content library

The Neo U9H can play some 4K content but is struggling with the bigger file sizes and encoding of 4K with Dolby Atmos, It will play but you need to manually set the Denon to accept the Atmos stream

Although size dose matter it's the encoding The Neo U9H struggles with as some sample files don't play correctly if at all
I've tried using VLC so I know / think it's the box and not Kodi
Before someone asks yes the audio setting are set to passthrough

What I like about The Neo U9H & Kodi is the clean interface with easy to navigate menus with access via TVDB content metadata
The NEO A2 Lite remote is big enough to hold, Due to pore coordination this a huge consideration. I nearly had to send the LG TV back until the shop provided a remote I could use. No I can't use an air mouse
You can easily access audio and subtitle menus and stop / restart content

Assuming I can get it to connect to LG Smartshare, running on the PC, the LG TV can play some more 4K content including some with atmos
It fails with DTS and the bigger files probably due to the TV processor

The interface is clunky navigating the menu system and I couldn't work out how to get non English subtitles to show.

There is a minefield of information around nVidia Shield TV Pro 4K capabilities when it come to Kodi, Video and audio codec, including atoms audio some relate to previous

I'm hoping someone can clarify if Shield can run kodi and in turn play the high end 4K content mentioned?
Or is this done via PLEX server \ player combo
Is the upscaling of 1080p / 720p as good as suggested

I'm not a gamer

Looking at the pictures I'm going to find using the remote difficult with 2 USB ports I think the A2 should work?

chenks

I'm hoping someone can clarify if Shield can run kodi and in turn play the high end 4K content mentioned?
Or is this done via PLEX server \ player combo
Is the upscaling of 1080p / 720p as good as suggested

it can certainly do everything you need via plex, I have no experience with kodi

the LG doesn’t support dts in any way, so you will need to connect the shield direct to an amp or soundbar to get dts, or convert the dts to lpcm for the LG to play it

the ai upscaling on the shield gets very good reviews

SonyTony

Standard Member
it can certainly do everything you need via plex

As a trail I've just set up plex server & installed the player on the TV

Assuming it's the same on a Shield I'm going to really struggling using that interface
There seems to be an issue with no Browse by Folder option?

chenks

Why would you need to browse by folder when it’s all about creating libraries and browsing the way

however, once you have created libraries I believe you can still browse it by folder

D730A8F5-6E9D-4B7D-AD07-D3B3BF16B5A2.jpeg

SonyTony

Standard Member
Why would you need to browse by folder when it’s all about creating libraries and browsing the way
I've only had a short time to play
For generic media such as movies and TV shows the libraries seem to work
For non generic stuff it's a mess with everything on one screen hence needing to browse by folder

I installed plex on my Neo U9H via play store the interface is slightly different and this time the browse by folder option was available I'm assuming because 1 is pure Android & the other WebOS/ Android TV

It also played a HEVC 56GB with TrueHD Audiio file
However when Plex tried to play 122mb sample file it wanted to upgrade to hardware transcoding I clicked no it played anyway

I'm guessing this is because the plex server is feeding the player where as playing the file direct the U9H has to do all the grunt work and can't cope

the ai upscaling on the shield gets very good reviews

I was reading some today and got confused by the plethora of information as if this is done by shield or plex / kodi or to let the TV do the upscaling

I need to do more research as weather an upgrade is worth it to complicate matters I also read very good reviews on the newer MINIX NEO U22-XJ

Not 100% sure it's as capable as a shield but I do know I can use the MINIOX A2 lite remote where I still think i'd struggle with the shields remote

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom