1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

minimum viewing distance for a projector/ bundled cables

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ibster, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys,

im thinking about getting a PTA100 soon but i was wondering whether my room was too small. I have been to projector central to check out image sizes ets but i just wanted some personal opinions,

The seating area to the wall where i want to project my image is only 9-10 feet, is that far enough ? I ideally want to project the image from a shelf above me as i cant mount it on the ceiling due to some light fittings. What is the maximum image one would recommend from this type of viewing distance ?

Also on another note, what cables normally come supplied with the projector ?

thanx in advance

ibster

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My viewing distance is approx. 1.8x the screen WIDTH (5' screen viewed from 9') and that is fine but I wouldn't want to view it from too much closer. Whether you can do this from a shelf above you depends on the lens on the projector. My Sanyo Z1 can throw from 1.35 - 1.6x the screen width, so wouldn't be able to but your PJ may be different...

My PJ came with a mains lead and a short composite cable. Again, yours will probably be different.

HTH,

_

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    for the AE100, the minimum and maximum sizes are:

9ft away: Min 5.4ft wide; Max 6.7ft wide

10ft away: Min 6ft wide; Max 7.4ft wide

I'd recommend not sitting any closer than 1.5x screen width, so if you are 9ft away, a 6ft screen sounds about right. The measurements above are from the lens to the screen, so bear in mind the length of the projector too.