*Minimum* throw distance...?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Darwock, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question after looking at the screen size calculator on projectorcentral.com - I notice they give a throw range for each projector, for example the AE700 has a minimum throw of 7.8 feet and the AE500 has a minimum throw of 4.6 feet!

Where do they get these numbers from as I can't imagine a situation where a screen would be too close.. surely it just means a much smaller image?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Presumably the lens is incapable of focussing at a distance shorter than that. :confused:

3. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, that's bad news as I am looking at a throw of 7 feet for the AE700! Can anyone confirm?

4. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just off the phone to the Panasonic shop having asked them that question.. yikes that was scary. They couldn't answer anything.. at one point he told me to wait as they were just looking up the website. I asked if they sold the AE500 and got 'umm.... I think it's been discontinued'.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    According to the AE700's page on Ivojo's site :

Throw Distance: 1.20m - 12.40m

6. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that's a little bit of reassurance - I called Discount Electrical UK after Panasonic failed to be of any use, unfortunately Ben wasn't around so they told me to try and contact him here. I've sent a PM.

I'm sure an AE500 would do if it came to it, but it would still be a little disappointing as the advances in the smoothscreen and the lens shift are very appealing for a small room set-up!

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Lens shift is very, very useful, as long as you don't go to the extremes of it's travel.

Ben not around, on a Wednesday? :eek: ... maybe he's gone H77 hunting. :D I highly recommend Ben, sometimes he gets a bit busy and needs a nudge to get things sorted out .. like paperwork Ben ;) .. but he's a nice bloke to do business with and always very helpful.