• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question "Minimum" specification for a W10 HTPC?

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
I'm looking to replace my ageing zBox with a new HTPC, as it looks like the hardware it's on the way out.

I plan to use it mostly with Openelec or Libreelec. Mostly ...

But I'd also like to run Windows 10 as there are some things like Netflix and Amazon video that simply run better on full Windows. Plus having Windows 10 would give me a second PC for convenience.

I'm looking to keep the costs down as much as possible.

What is the minimum recommended specification that I would need to play a Blu-Ray movie while running Kodi on Windows 10, and still have it feeling smooth and without stuttering?

I will probably buy above the minimum, but I need to know what the lowest spec is so that I don't end up with something that's too low spec.

I have no intention of using 3D or 4K video, or HD streams. It won't be used for gaming. Not even casual gaming or retro gaming. As I already have a PC capable of doing all of that.

I already have a Raspberry Pi, and a media streamer, so I'm not looking for anything like that. Just a low speced Windows 10 box.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I will probably buy above the minimum, but I need to know what the lowest spec is so that I don't end up with something that's too low spec.

For H.264 FHD playback I don't think there's any such thing these days, even the cheapest £99 stick PCs will play blu-ray rips through Kodi if they can pick up a decent enough network speed with their tiny wi-fi aerials.

next010

Distinguished Member
You could go even cheaper than a PC with an Amazon FireTV for £79, & thats the 4K version that can play BD video and H.265/HEVC video. It also has ethernet and USB ports.

That will get Amazon video of course, Netflix and install MrMC from Amazon app store, it is an app store friendly fork of Kodi by former XBMC developers. No need to hack the device to install Kodi.

If you still want a PC an Intel NUC celeron model should do.

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
You could go even cheaper than a PC with an Amazon FireTV for £79, & thats the 4K version that can play BD video and H.265/HEVC video. It also has ethernet and USB ports.

That will get Amazon video of course, Netflix and install MrMC from Amazon app store, it is an app store friendly fork of Kodi by former XBMC developers. No need to hack the device to install Kodi.

If you still want a PC an Intel NUC celeron model should do.

I've got a couple of Streaming devices already, so I'm really looking for something that will run full Windows 10, to give me a second PC as well as a media player.

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
I believe it does trail the Kaby Lake chips in a couple of areas. It won't do 10-bit VP9 decoding for example, so HDR on Youtube may not play smoothly.

Since I don't have an HRD TV, that won't be a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom