minimum spec for music only multizone server? (xlobby)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by richard plumb, Sep 29, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    Just tried out xlobby and quite like its control via PPC (quicker than xbox via web server - just needs some rearranging of skins)

So I'm thinking of a separate PC just for music. What minimum spec would I get away with?

Assuming windows XP home
    7.1 soundcard (allows three stereo zones)
    needs to run three instances of winamp 5
    run xlobby in server mode
    probably wifi card too

How about amplifying speakers? Do soundcards connect directly to speakers? speaker runs would be min 3m (for the main room), up to maybe 10m max for reaching the bedroom.

Ideally I don't want anyone to have to switch amps on, but I will if its the easist solution.

Also, anyone with experience of xlobby used PPCs a lot? What happens if the PPC powers down after inactivity? Does it still reconnect when you power up again?

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm pretty sure I've just answered most of your question at the xlobby forum but with regard to the PPC, whe it powers down due to inactivity, with my dell axim you just press the power button and it takes a second or two for the wireless part to sync and then its back however my mate has one with a linksis wifi card and that crashes the xlobby client, it seems to be a problem with the linksis card as other people have reported the problem too.

3. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Take care to choose the correct sound card. You must be able to add each stereo zone to each instance of winamp.

I use power amps (Roksan Caspian) for each zone which have an auto "on" when it detects an active input. My server is always running because shutting down server requires each power amp to be turned off manually to avoid speaker damage.

Xlobby is great free software and worth all the effort required for set up.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    thanks. I'm going to double check the soundcards first. I think ones mentioned as supported in xlobby and winamp were Delta 410s, Audigy2 (but don't know which flavour), and also the griffin powerwaves (which have the benefit of being amplified)

I'd like to avoid separate amps, as the cost would quickly mount up, so the griffins look like the best bet so far.

Either that or I might just pop a mini system in each room with an AUX input. That way I get FM radio too and tape for the odd thing I haven't already digitised.

any hints and tips for v.low budget multizone audio?

5. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The delta 410 can be had around the £125 mark new, I feed mine to some secondhand amps bought on the forums for around the £50 each mark. For multiroom the quality is not as critical as my sitting/listenong room which has a seperate htpc with rme card feeding a myryad mdp500g6 and rotel poweramps.

Speaker cables will happily run quite long distances, my muiltiroom setup comprises of a file sever in a rack in the garage. In the same rack a seperate xlobby machine with 2 d4elta 410's feeds 7 stereo amps ( well 1 is a rotel 6 channel poweramp but you get the idea) with long speaker cables running onto the speakers. There is also a long phono lead which goes through to the HTPC in the living room for synced part mode (although this wont be needed when the xnet bit of xlobby is finished)

A touchscreen in the hallway is the main controller, 3 PPC 's help out and I run the same client app on my desktop machine in my office for controlling that room.

For fm radio I use a regular radio deck into the line in on a soundcard, this feeds a winamp shoutcaster which basically turns the fm radio into a url on my network, Xlobby can then playback the url via winamp (or foobar) using the playfile command which gives control of volume via the application. You could set up multiple versions of this for other sources if you wished.

Gives you some ideas?

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    woah, absolutely! Nice idea on the cheap amps front. I guess there is always someone looking to upgrade on here.

A lot of good stuff there to get started with. As I'm going to buy a new desktop anyway, its a balance between buying lots of things and intelligently reusing what I have.

I spent a little time with xlobby this evening trying the skin editor (I had a problem with little fonts on the ppc side). Seems tricky, but along the lines of pronto edit (i.e. not friendly to use, but powerful). I should be happy enough knocking an existing scheme into place for music only (and I love the DVD profiler importing!)

Lots of schematics coming up I feel :)

PS, how does your radio work? do you use xlobby to control the IR on the deck to change presets?

7. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I only really listen to one radio station so that solves the issue of changing channels for me, however xlobby interfaces to a usbuirt which has the ability to send or repeat ir as well as receive it so its possible to configure xlobby to change the channels of an ir based radio receiver.