1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

minimum speaker quality

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by barnythebear, Jul 6, 2004.

1. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking of buying an AV300 and have Bose Acoustimass 15 series1's at present. What would you say are the minimum quality of small speaker I would need to do justice to this amp. Do not want to spend a fortune but could stretch it a bit for the right kit. :confused:

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I would look at something like the Monitor Audio Radius range or the Kef 2005.2s or the larger 5005s. All very good and quite compact and wouldn't resrict the capabilities of the AVR300 too much.

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I would say go higher than that. I dont personally rate the Kef lifestyles at all (except for the 9000). Really depends on your budget.

4. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demo'd the AVR300 with MA Radius setup, with a REL Q150 sub. Sounded very competent (in a small listening room). Gives a very clean sound, probably due to lack of lower-mid range. Limitations of sub/sat package showed up more on music. Although the MA Rads were better than KEF 2005.

I currently use KEF Q35.2/Q95.2/Q15.2 with my AVR300. I am considering down sizing speakers and would go MA Radius rather than KEF 2005/5005.

Don't forget, if you go for Radius in either the gloss black or gloss silver finish, the Gold Reference range is now available in same finishes! They have even rounded the cabinet edges to match the radius range. Have seen the gloss black ones - look very nice.

I may get a 5.1 radius setup intitally, then add matching GR10 fronts for stereo listening and possibly GR centre at a later date. The FL/FR radius will then move to rear effect channels at back of room.

Comments anyone?

5. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At this moment I have an AVR200 a pair of Acoustic AE1 mk 1 fronts, a radius 180 centre a pair of radius 90 rear and a radius 360 subwoofer, apart from the sub I think they are excelent. TBH I don't think the sub was a good buy.

Hopefully my AVR300 will come in the next week or so and will probably be looking to buy a better sub, not thought about what yet though.

6. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice guys. I've just had another thought, would it be better to keep the Bose for the other five channels and get a couple of conventional speakers to run the front left and rights? Just a thought, any advice!

7. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want good quality when playing stereo, your idea makes a lot of sense. You could then upgrade the Boses later on if required.

8. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Nikyzf it makes me wonder if I should go the whole hog and buy a Two channel amp and speakers rather than the AV300. My worry is that my current Technics SA-AX7 although musical may not be up to the task and capable of connecting to another amp? :confused:

9. TheJamTartMan

TheJamTartMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AVR300 is significantly better than any of the 'lifestyle' speakers mentioned here. This is a proper hifi amp and deserves proper hifi speakers. I would say you ought to listen to MA GR10s or similar.

10. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or possibly the castle compact set