Quantcast

Question Minimum sky sub for meaningful 4K content?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
just got a 4kTv and have Netflix and amazon as my only source of 4K video. I currently have TiVo and half an eye on the new 4K v6 box, but if they aren't getting sky movies or sport in 4K I don't know what they'll actually have (presumably just rentals?)

So I'm looking at sky - I think you need to pay for multiroom to get 4K which seems odd, but other than that, what content do they have? Will I realistically also need a movie channel sub to get the most from it, or do they have decent TV shows in 4K (that aren't already on Netflix/amazon)

I like virgin for broadband speed but might be time to switch for a year - especially if F1 is 4K next year - and the Black Friday deals seem decent if I can get a free tv for the spare room

dp

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

The Sky UHD content is films, a few documentaries, and fewer still football games.
I agree that calling it multiroom is weird.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
hmm, so I wouldn't miss much by waiting until the spring. Black friday deals seem pretty good though - and my Tivo is Sooooo slow.

AciidSn3ak3r

I can honestly say I have watched very little UHD content through Sky. I've watched more through Netflix and Prime Video.
However I believe the content over satellite and on-demand through the Sky Q (2TB box anyways) to be brilliant. It's certainly better than my Sky+HD box.
So I would say get Sky Q (the 2tb box) and enjoy it. Then if you want upgrade later to multiroom (yeah I find it odd too!).

logiclee

4K?
A few new documentaries and entertainment shows on Sky Q like Mars and The Young Pope. Some older boxsets too.
A bit of Football and the biggie for me F1 next March.

4k Movies on Sky Cinema are mainly shot in 2k and upscaled and sometimes not as good as 1080P bluray.

Netflix and Amazon have more 4k content and more importantly HDR.

But it is early days for Sky Q UHD

Lee

VisionMan

Everyone has to give consideration that where 4K and HDR content is concerned, these are very early days and as such the technology and content are still in formative stages.

Netflix and Amazon - limited content but with HDR.
Q - limited content.
YouView - also limited content.
Virgin Media's new 4K V6 - no 4K at all. But it is capable!

Vertigo1

Everyone has to give consideration that where 4K and HDR content is concerned, these are very early days and as such the technology and content are still in formative stages.

Netflix and Amazon - limited content but with HDR.
Q - limited content.
YouView - also limited content.
Virgin Media's new 4K V6 - no 4K at all. But it is capable!
You forgot the ultimate - 4K Bluray :)