Question Minimum room width for home cinema: Is 2.5m wide enough?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by mikeysthoughts, May 18, 2019.

1. mikeysthoughts

mikeysthoughts

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +215
      The wife and I are looking to move to Frome and have found a potential place that in all other respects is perfect for our needs, however the internal width of the garage which would become a cinema/music room is 2.5m (length 6.5m but I would probably section it off to 2.5m x 5m)

Is this wide enough for a comfortable, quality outfitting with the Arendal Tower S 2x Subs and Surround S setup? Anyone got a similar room size with a successful outfit? Would the speakers have room to breathe and deliver to their potential?

There aren't really many other options (an outbuilding would dominate the garden) and the bedrooms would be needed for sleeping purposes.

Otherwise it's back to the search.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,898
      It's a useable space but I don't think right for floorstanding speakers, as a rule they don't like being pushed into a corner.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,468
      A bigger room would be more ideal of course, but it can be done.

I would go for inwall speakers and an acoustically transparent screen. With velvet all around the screen and side walls you can easily fit an 8ft wide screen - even wider if you wanted to DIY and go literally wall to wall. With the lights down the black velvet removes all reflections and the screen looks like it's against a much wider wall and the side walls disappear.

Screen choices are 2.40 which is the traditional method that has scope as the widest format and others smaller, and sit around 8 feet from the screen. 16:9 which is like TV or multiplex, and you may feel like sitting a bit further back for the taller 1.85 stuff, or 16:9 with closer seating and use the extra height for IMAX movies - you keep that screen masked most of the time for scope and all other formats and just remove it for the IMAX type movies.

4. PaulDavidThomas

PaulDavidThomas

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +52
      I think Peter's comment on in-wall speakers for the front sound stage is a good way to go. As you have such a long garage to work with, losing a couple of 100mm in depth is not going to be noticeable.

As a recommendation, assuming it's a single skin building I would recommend. 25mm Celotex ( or similar ) flush against the brick work, using silver jointing tape to act as a complete moisture membrane. Then stud work with rockwool between and your cables run through studs. Then plasterboard over - denser the better, so rather than normal white stuff, go blue ( sound ), green ( moisture ) or pink ( fire ) , which ever works out cheapest. They are all denser than the white stuff.

Along the long walls, if you are NOT putting in wall side channels, you can give yourself more width by turning the studs on their sides so you take up less space. If you ARE putting them in, then it's down to measuring the depth you need which will indicate what wall depth you need.

Equally, on the side walls, if you want as wide a room as you can, you could build some custom boxes, ply lined, then covered in plasterboard ( so it can be plastered ) so they stick out of the wall a bit, then put the IW sides into that. This way, you keep your width, but get IW's in.

The IW's also have the attribute of same timbre throughout, if buying from same manufacturer.

You could also reduce the 25mm Celotex to 10mm product they do called 'Thermal Break'. The reason I am suggesting Celotex ( or similar ) is that it WILL keep the room warm. Also use it in the ceiling and the floor.

For the floor, just put sheets down, then you can lay something link 18mm chipboard flooring followed by carpet. You could just put click lock flooring onto the celotex, but it won't be good for sound.

If you want to 'resist' noise leaking outside you could use a product like TechSound 50, but that's expensive (but good), or sandwich rubber based carpet underlay between studs and plasterboard.

Always run more cables than you need (they are cheap), if you don't know what you need, run ducting - this could be run above the ceiling or even into the floor as well as side walls.

I buy refurbish property, so I'm more up on the building side of things. I'm sure others know more about the HT stuff...

Hope it helps. Paul.