1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum Req's

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bardel, Jan 23, 2004.

1. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    OK, I fancy having a play around with this HCPC stuff.

I have some spare old bits lying about and want to know if this is gonna be enough (no laughing please).

AMD Athlon 900
    Radeon 64MB DDR

I realise these are a bit old, but hey...

Also, which OS do you recommend, XP Pro? Or something else?

I have a Sony VPL-HS1 LCD projector, which I beleive is 800x600? Will the video output from the Radeon be any good on this? Also, I plan to connect this using the S-Video connector rather than 15pin VGA DSub, is this a good idea?

Can you guys give me an indication if this will run well enough to output DVD's? Im not overly worried about this, as my main use for the home pc will be for photo viewing and music jukebox.

Oh, and for control, Im looking at IRMan and Girder, how much control can I realistically expect over something like Media Player (particularly for browsing through files)?

Sorry for lots of different questions (probably repeated but I couldnt find the answers) from a HCPC newbie.

Cheers

Barry

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Your 900 should be fine for DVD playback, though I'd recommend you use Windows 98 or ME if you've just got 64meg of ram. XP may be a bit memory hungry. If you've got it to try and don't mind having to reinstall, you could give it a try.

You'll only see a benefeit from using an HTPC if you use the vga - s-video probably won't look any different than your standalone player, so isn't recommended.

800 x 600 will be fine, as your pc will scale everything to fit.

I use Girder with an ir reciever to control PowerDVD, and I'm using an old Samsung 709 remote for it which does the job nicely. You should be able to do the same with your audio software too.

I just downloaded the relevant .gml for PDVD, and then relearnt the remote button code - highlight the condition you want the button to control, click 'learn event', then press the remote button. Do this for all events and save the file. It's quicker and easier than making your own from scratch. :)

Do that with your media player and you should be up and running in no time.

HTH

Gary.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I thought that may refer to graphics card ram rather than system ram?

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Lol, yes he was. :blush:

Age will do that to you ya know..

Gary.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Unfortunately i know that only too well :)

6. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hehe, thanks for that guys, got loadsa ram to chuck in the machine (1GB), so I'll assume from what you've written that XP Pro is the operating system to use.

Are there any limits to how far you can run a VGA cable???

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    IIRC, ITM will guarentee a vga cable up to 200ft with no ghosting etc, so you should be fine provided it's a good cable. I'm using a 25ft one via a Skyworth DVD player, but initialy used it for HTPC until I got a DVI cable. It's just as good as the 1.5m one I tried before I ceiling mounted the projector. Lindy also sell good cables..

http://www.itm-components.com/

http://www.lindy.com/uk/

Gary.

8. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably best to suck it ans see re: the dvd playback, it may well be tht your current graphics card supports hardware assisted dvd playback

as for control of file selection have a look at oprograms like http:\\www.myhtpc.net ,it can mask the windows desktop and give and easy to control through tv friendly menus and its free so no harm in trying it