Minimum processor?

Bretto

***EDIT
As this has been moved from the XBox360HDDVD forum, please consider i'm asking about the horsepower to run HDDVDs.
Thank you

I'm in the process of making a HTPC, with the intention of installing the XBox drive.

What would you guys recommend as a minimum processor for smooth playback? I was thinking a core2duo 6300 would be more than enough......:rolleyes:

I've been reading on the "pc/xboxDVD" thread about lower processors running on PowerDVD. Can anyone give me some feedback from their system?

I'll be running in on an ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90HD motherboard which has HDMI out and full HD sound on board. + 2 gigs of RAM.

Thanks, Brett

Ooh, and if anyone can post a link to a complete idiots guide of getting the drive up and running on a pc that'll be GREAT :smashin:

Bretto

Dudes, should be ordering it tomorrow.....Don't be shy in offering an opinion. I won't sue if it's the wrong choice ;)

Can i get away with a 6400 (yes, i've upped it a bit), or should I get the 6600?

I'll be running onboard graphics if that sways opinion

Thanks, Brett.

WelshBluebird

Novice Member
IMO, go for the E6420. Its only £125 (the same price the E6300 used to be) because of the recent price cuts. And since it has 4mb of L2 cache, a simply overclock to 2.4Ghz will make it identical to the E6600 (and it may even have a little advantage because of the higher FSB).

Bretto

Thank you both for your replies.
I was talking to someone else who suggested that possibly the 6300 wasn't powerful enough for the Xbox360HDDVD. I'll look into that other processor. I haven't been an Intel boy for a VERY long time.
Confusing the different speeds etc.....

thanks again.
Brett

Oh, andyr300, does that HTPC run HDDVDs? I know the system I am building os powerful enough for everyday jobs, just want smooth HDDVDs when i get it :thumbsup:

arfster

Thank you both for your replies.
I was talking to someone else who suggested that possibly the 6300 wasn't powerful enough for the Xbox360HDDVD.
Although it's way more than enough for VC1, it's not quite enough for the hardest h264 discs. For example, Babel won't be smooth with that, so I'd go for a e6420.

Of course, if you get a 8500/8600 card then it doesn't matter what processor you have, cos CPU use with h264 will be 5 to 10%.

Bretto

Now that's what i'm talking about :smashin:

Thanks for the reply arfster....I'll look into getting a card later on.....my gaming machine has an nvidia 7800 so I may slap that in to see what it does (even though it is an "older" card)!

arfster

Now that's what i'm talking about :smashin:

Thanks for the reply arfster....I'll look into getting a card later on.....my gaming machine has an nvidia 7800 so I may slap that in to see what it does (even though it is an "older" card)!
It's got plenty of power, so if acceleration works properly then you can get away with a lot less than a e6300. However, it's a big "if" - Nvidia's h264 acceleration with the 7xxx series has an absolute ton of bugs/image quality problems.

Bretto

Interesting what you say about the 7xxx series graphics cards arfster. The playback I get on some films on my computer is dreadful at times. When I run them through my cra**y laptop via my LCD in the bedroom they are wonderful.

Wonder if it's not my monitor but the graphics card.......

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom