1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum package with "free" sky plus

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mark.carline, Jun 14, 2004.

1. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I currently have a sky subscrition for around £19 quid a month with a normal type of sky box and I have managed to get my hands on a sky plus box via very good well known second hand web site (thanks ebay!). I allready had a quad LNB fitted when I had sky installed so (I think) all i need to do know is it get one of those minimum packages (start at £27) that includes free sky plus subscription:

http://www.sky.com/skycom/article/0,,90050-1081063,00.html?CMP=IL21287

I just wondered:

a) Which of these sky plus channels are broadcast in DD5.1 ?
    b) Has anyone tried to use a sky plus box on a £19 subscrition - what happens ??
    c) What is the picture quality like from the sky plus box compared with the other outputs?

Thanks

Mark.Carline@btinternet.com

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The cheapeast package (at this time) which includes the SKY+ sub costs £27 (SS1 & SM2 or SS2 & SM2) both with the Value package, they cost £29 if you have the Family package with the two premium channels.

1) SM1,2 and 3 carry DD5.1 audio as does the Disney channel on occasion. There is no such thing as a SKY+ channel, SKY+ is just a digibox with some extra bits:)
    2) SKY+ works with any channel package but if you want to use the recording facilities you will need to pay the extra £10 a month.
    3) No practical difference, however if you have watch for example a Panasonic digibox for a while then you may percieve a difference between it and the PACE or Amstrad output. While the spec is the same the manufacturers will use different components to achieve the same results.

3. billybriggs

billybriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Starburst,
    Thanks for your reply(Sky Subs-billybriggs).You say more than one premium channel.The £27 and £29 are surely only one premium channel as there is no SS with those packages at all. e.g £29 SM1,3, 5, 7 and + family pack.So do SM 1,3,5,7 and 9 add up to 5 premium channels? In the Sky terms it says packages 1A-6K inclusive it just doesn't say what thay are!!
    Cheers
    Chris-billybriggs

4. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    just got sky plus working and I had to get Sky Movies 2 which was the cheapest package that included SKY Plus features - £27 a month,

5. billybriggs

billybriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fine..............looked at this package.Wonder if anyone knows if they roll the films around between Sky movies 1&2?. I know, i know when you fancy a film it'll be on the other Sky movie channel...........but will it appear on the other at a later date within a reasonable time period?..............probably a question for the die hard movie people who have had Sky a while!
    Regards
    Chris

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

There are a lot more packages than those listed on the current SKY website, they removed the full list a few months ago.
    SM1, SM2, SS1 and SS2 are the four premium SKY channels.

JPEG of the full list before removal.... Packages

7. billybriggs

billybriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very last post on this subject!!...Removed sky package list
    1.Would it be reasonable to assume that the SM 1 and SS2 package did not include SM3, 5, 7 and 9(£29)
    2. Whether it did or didn't presumably this package wouldn't be available to a new subscriber?
    3. Any opinions about rolling the films between SM1 and 2 within a reasonable time period?
    Thank you for your kind help.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    1. The SKY Movies 1 package (SM1) includes 1,3,5,7 and 9 with SKY Movies 2 (SM2) being made up of 2,4,6 and 8. The price of SM1 and SS2 is £33.
    2. If you mean new to SKY+ then you can have any package you want, if you mean new to SKY then you can have any package you want but in the latter case you would get the full subsidy.
    3. I am not upto speed on the movie channels, haven't subscribed since xmas and then I only have the them a month or so at anyone time but you very rarely see a movie get shown on both sets of movie channels. I think it was initially down to the fact that the two channels (Premier and Max) were created from different studios and covered by different contracts and of course by keeping them seperate there is more chance you will subscribe to both:)

9. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Hmm..

I am not happy.

I have just got a letter from SKY confirming the price increases that my subscription will increase from £27 to £28 a month *plus* my SKY+ fee of £10 which brings the total monthly subscription to £38 !!!!!

I seem to have been misssold the cheapest movie package that includes free sky plus subscription by the SKY person on the phone.

I specifically confirmed that SKY+ features are free when I was on the £27 sky package and they said yes.

All I wanted was the cheapest movie package (no sports) that included SKY+. Anyone here know which package is the best one ?

The sky web site is very confusing plus the price increase letter they sent me didnt even have their telephone number on it (I guess this stops people complaining!).

10. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I think it's the one I have, pack 1b, which is the family pack sky 1, Discovery etc. plus Sky Movie World. ie everything except sports. It's £34 per month from memory.

11. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    yep just phoned sky.....

Now on a package for £34 a month with *TWO* premium channels SM1 and SM2.

Bit of a con really and I did complain about it but as SKY dont have any competition I really dont think they are bothered.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The waiving of the SKY+ £10 fee has always been for subscribers who had TWO premium packages, incorrect info from a CS rep or a change in packages along with the September price changes perhaps?

13. bobnuts1

bobnuts1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI.

Although CS will at first say its not possible, after a lot of haggling I have my Sky + supporting recording and trick play features on only the BBC (all) and ITV + Ch4/5 channels (FTV?) for just £10/month ie no Sky subscription at all.

CS told me that I have to subscribe to at least the basic package (£18) and then pay 10 quid on top. I told them it was madness as I NEVER watch Sky One etc etc. and will bin the whole lot for a Freeview PVR that would pay for itself after a few months. Strangley they then remembered a "special" package that has been created for people that may have purchased a second hand Sky+ box but do not want a Sky viewing package in order to use the Sky+ features and access to the EPG etc. So thats what I am on now.

OK. We dont get the benefit of DD 5.1 movies anymore but we have just signed up to a DVD rental by post deal for £10/month for any number of DVD rentals for films that are available long before they are shown on Sky movies.

HTH

Richard

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    To be fair to the CS reps it's mostly down to ignorance of the options for SKY+, the standalone £10 with just the FTV/FTA channels is way down on the computer menu, on another screen so I once read:)