1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum LCD response timesfor gaming?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Ramspeed, Jun 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all

Like many people on this forum I'm looking to buy an LCD for gaming (in particular the forthcoming Xbox 360/PS3) .A contentious issue seems to be the response times of LCD panels. Gaming requires good response time due to the quick motion. What is the minimum response time to ensure that there is no motion blur or smearing (assuming that the game is running at 720p @50/60 hz?

Many sets have 16 ms now - is that fast enough? The new Panasonic's have 14 ms - once again is that fast enough?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I'd say 16ms if it's black-to-white times is fast enough. 16ms grey-to-grey blurs too much. Unfortunately manufacturers don't usually say which it is, so I would expect it to be the grey-to-grey, as that's always lower than black-to-white.

I've got a Samsung LE32R41B with a 12ms response time and it's perfect for gaming. You will still see it blur on interlaced sources, but on progressive it's very minimal, and I'd say comparable with a CRT.