minimum i need for a media pc to use with scart socket

djcla

Distinguished Member
on a widescreen crt.

I am new to media PC thing and wondered what the basics I would need to create a media PC to use with a widescreen CRT TV.

ijd

Novice Member
a graphics card with svideo would probably be your best option via an svideo scart adapter, although if you already have a graphics card you probably already have a composite output...

deksawyer

You need a motherboard with onboard ATI graphics (X200 and up) or a separate ATI Radeon gfx card, such as a 9200 or greater.

A custom made vga-scart cable can be bought from Keene for around £35.

You'll also need a bit of software called Powerstrip to force a widescreen resolution and a 50Hz refresh rate.

This is the best possible way to get a quality picture to a crt tv. S-video is ok, but there's still problems with resolotions & refresh rates....

D.

djcla

Distinguished Member
deksawyer said:
You need a motherboard with onboard ATI graphics (X200 and up) or a separate ATI Radeon gfx card, such as a 9200 or greater.

A custom made vga-scart cable can be bought from Keene for around £35.

You'll also need a bit of software called Powerstrip to force a widescreen resolution and a 50Hz refresh rate.

This is the best possible way to get a quality picture to a crt tv. S-video is ok, but there's still problems with resolotions & refresh rates....

D.
Keene?

deksawyer

You really need an ATI chipset for this to work.

and if you go for the Keene cable, it's made to order and it's called a Radeon to SCART cable.

There's 2 types: with and without audio.

D.

djcla

Distinguished Member
cool, so a radeon card does it need to be special for high def stuf or will a 9200 work ok? Also if i want to connect the pc to my amp whats the best way for getting optical out from a sound card? ALso what resolutions do you need power strip to use to get dvd 16:9 playback?

deksawyer

Well, a 9200 is the bottom limit - get the best ATI card you can afford.

HD content on a CRT tv.......interesting concept. I don't think it's going to happen.

Right click here and 'save as' for a guide to setting up a 16:9 CRT tv resolution.

You'll need a motherboard with SPDIF out so you can connect it to your receiver, which will do the encoding.

D.

djcla

Distinguished Member
deksawyer said:
Well, a 9200 is the bottom limit - get the best ATI card you can afford.

HD content on a CRT tv.......interesting concept. I don't think it's going to happen.

Right click here and 'save as' for a guide to setting up a 16:9 CRT tv resolution.

You'll need a motherboard with SPDIF out so you can connect it to your receiver, which will do the encoding.

D.
So hi res files are a no go on a crt, i thought it would just down scale the image or somthing is that not the case then?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom