1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum HCPC spec for NEC 9PG crt projector?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AndyFov, Apr 27, 2004.

1. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I've just gone and bought a NEC 9PG CRT projector from the classifieds. This thing accepts S video, composite, and RGBHV.

I'm planning to cobble together a HCPC allowing me to make use of the RGBHV inputs. Not really having a clue about this, I'm weighing up the viability of cobbling something together with a very limited budget. I've been gifted an old Athlom 900Mhz base unit, and am hoping that's enough - I won't be gaming, so presuming it has the processing power to decode DVD with software that'll be fine, right?

The projector's spec's are:

Horizontal scan rate 15 to 93
    Vertical scan rate 38 to 150
    Max resolution 1280x1024

Would appreciate advice re the following:

SOUND CARD
    My sound setup is only an Acoustic Energy Aego P5. It's not at all bad, it accepts encoded DD/DTS by composite and optical. I can also bypass the decoder and just use the amp with its 6 channel input. What's the cheapest sound card that'll give me passable results?

VIDEO CARD
    Am I right in assuming that I need nothing special? I don't need DVI and the like, as I plan to just use a standard VGA lead and a RGBHV breakout lead to connect to the pj. So anything that'll output at 1280 x 1024 is ok, right? TBH I don't understand this whole 720p 1080i business - I'll have to read the FAQ!

TV card
    Was thinking of getting a Wintv PCI PVR card. I've a spare 60gb hdd knocking around, and a DVD Rom too for that matter.

So all told, I'm hoping that I can build something that'll output far better results than a standard DVD player for not too much money. I'll worry about a nice case and more power later. Am I right in this assumption - Or do I really need to set aside several hindred pounds to do the job properly?

TIA

Andy

2. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Andy,

The Athlon will be fine for DVD playback.. with hardware acceleration enabled.. I used to use a Pentium 3 600 with Theatertek (DVD player) with good results.

As for soundcard - I use an MAudio Revo £60ish... many people dislike soundblasters etc, but any card with preferably a coax/phono connection will pass the digital signal without loss.. Passing analogue signals through Winamp etc is where you get into more complexity..

Video card - cheap ATI Radeon 7500 ish will be very cheap and via powerstrip (config software) will allow you to run 1280x720 (720p) type resolutions. My mate has a 9pg and runs 720p (1280x720 widescreen ratio)..

The TV card - this really depends on what you want to achieve - to run Dscaler (www.dscaler.org) at a reasonable resolution - you will definately run out of power. If you want to just output a TV signal through the inbuild software's overlay to the projector it may be ok (please check this!!)... this is the only area where you will struggle... Dscaler is the defacto standard in this area and can eat as much power as you can throw at it. the more power you have the more "features" you can enable. As for the capture card itsself - I would recommend one of the newer chipsets (that has Dscaler support) not the BT8x8 cards!..

Good luck
    Paul.

3. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Paul, that's all very helpful.

I'm definitely leaning towards the pc route now.

Andy