1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum DSL connection speed for Xbox Live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by blackbull, Mar 17, 2004.

1. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys/lasses

I am looking at the BT broadband basic service at £19.99 a month but I would like your opinions as to whether a 512kb connection is fast enough or whether I would be missing out loads compared to a 1mb connection.

Thanks in anticipation

2. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi. It's the upload speed that really effects gaming.
    With DSL you should be getting approximately 256 upload and that will be fine. A lot of the guys here just have a ADSL 512 connection and host many games fine.

Have a look on http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ to compare companies speeds, reliability and customer service, rather than just choosing BT. I am with Eclipse and they seem to be near the top of the speed charts each month. Zen also seem to good.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problems that arise are that upload speeds with connections are rarely as quick as download speeds.

My NTL connection, for example, has 600k download and 150k upload - not good!

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    According to BT their 'basic' package, the £19.99 one does not support gaming, i have spoken to them and could not find anyone who could tell me why!. It says it on their website, and under the benefits etc it says that gaming and using more than one computer are not supported, but other than those two features it is the same as their £27 package, anyone know if this is true, or do you have it and use it for Xbox live etc.

5. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BT are feeding drivel as usual. I'd be inclined to tell you not to use them, and go for someone like Nildram or Pipex instead.

6. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, having read the information they give, these are the issues :

The modem that comes with the basic pack gives a USB network connection - to share this with another computer, or an XBox, requires a bit of fiddling. It's not impossible, as they state - it's just awkward. It also gives you a (paltry) 1Gb allowance a month. This might not be a problem for you, but bear in mind that it isn't nearly as much as it sounds :)

Check out www.nildram.co.uk and www.pipex.co.uk - if you can get BT Broadband, you should be able to get it from these two as well :)

7. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    A USB modem and 1 gig cap are pretty big problems. I also hear that BT dsl has compatibility problems with some ADSL modems, so you might struggle to upgrade to a 'proper' modem.

Just re-read your post, and 1 gig per MONTH?? Are you sure? That's virtually nothing at all, and you'll almost certainly exceed that if you do much gaming. Also, if you had a router it would be always on, and would be receiving all kinds of traffic which is basically the Internet background noise - pings and other random traffic that would eat into that feeble 1 gig per month.

Pipex have a good reputation, and I think their standard service is a similar price to BT without the stupid restrictions. 512 download and 256 upload is plenty for Live

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    I believe that it says no online gaming support, this could mean they would not support queries about it.

However, there is a 1Gb cap, this would be extremely limiting for online games playing.

Say you needed to stream around 64kps, that equals downloading around 30Megabytes per hour. So you would be able to squeeze about 33 hours of gaming in a month.

Not sure if the cap includes upload in which case you can just about manage 20hours of gaming :p

This might be adequate, but I highly doubt it, especially as many games are starting to require higher bandwidth.

9. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1GB limit :eek: I've DL'd 30GB in under a month which doesn't include regular browsing

10. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the comments guys I will look at the alternatives you mentioned

11. img

img

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    can recommend pipex mate works for their technical departmant. they dont cap your monthly limit and dont bloke any ports. also good speeds and prices. just get their 512 pachange and a decent router. Buy something like a netgear or linksys router stay away from dlink or cheap no name rubbish.

12. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point img. Having just decorated my living room I am looking towards a wireless ADSL modem/router as my PC is upstairs and my Xbox in the living room therefore i want to avoid wires and cables running through the house. Could any of you give me any good value recommendations? I have been looking at ebay and found some for sale for between £70 to £130 but I must admit to being wary about buying something like this without prior knowledge of a manufacturers reputation or the model's real world perfomance. So if anyone has a wireless set up or knows of someone who has and is happy with it could they let me know what they purchased?.

Thanks again

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I have a completely Netgear solution - 824 ADSL modem/router/wireless access point, MA401 PC card, and an ME101 wireless bridge

However, I did have problems using the bridge for wireless Xbox access, so I ended up connecting the xbox directly to the router via ethernet cable, and into the phone socket. Then wireless to my laptop, and wireless to my printer upstairs.

Linksys or Dlink are also good brands, but I would recommend using the same company for all your bits if you are a beginner - their default settings are likely to be the same to get you up and running quickly.

Oh, and I'd go for wireless 'g' now. Prices aren't any higher, but speeds and range are better (and more future proofed)

14. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richard for your comment I will do as you suggest and go one-make wireless g.

15. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a free wirless router from work, its a generic one sent to our company as a sample so we could rebrand them and sell them. Does the job perfectly, get good connections, full bandwidth - no need to go overboard on the cost.

16. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Its not 1gig per month, its a 1gig per day. But it is not enforced thou

17. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its 1 gigabyte per month, i just checked the adverts in the newspaper.