1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimum distance for PV37500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sunrunner, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Sunrunner

Sunrunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

I'm a bit miffed at the moment as I went into Currys at the weekend to see firsthand how good the new Panasonic Plasmas are. I was a bit disappointed at the quality of picture but realised the feed was awful. After talking to one of the 'advisors' I was told if I was any closer than 10 feet I would see pixelation on any screen, whether LCD or plasma.

Since I'm only about 5 or 6 feet away from my TV I thought I'd have no chance. I've got my heart set on the 37" now but was told "you'd go blind watching a screen that big, that close". God knows what he thinks I'm going to be doing !!!

He tried to push me in the direction of the LCDs as they are smaller, but I want that 37" cinema experience.

Does anyone else know what the screen quality of this Tv is like from about 5-6 feet ?

Cheers

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    I had my 42"pv500 installed this morning and the picture quality is fantastic,I can nearly get my nose on the screen and the picture still looks good.If the source is good ie good signal from from sky or freeview the picture will also be good not noticed any faults buzzes lines or contrast changes as yet very pleased with my purchase.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)
    Ps you will be fine with the 37" it will look great at your distances.

3. Moleshome

Moleshome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Currys are talking cobblers. You can sit a LOT closer to a high def set without losing track of the picture coz of the pixelation. That (with a DVD or other good feed) is one of the immediately noticeable things about the 37PV500 I have had for about 3 weeks. Whether you can see bad-source-induced noise is another matter.

5. Sunrunner

Sunrunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is very encouraging !!! The missus had almost persuaded me to look at LCDs even though I've never seen one that has the same picture quality as a plasma.

Think I might be best off going to a smaller store where I can actually see a DVD player hooked up to the screen and measure it out to see where I'll be viewing. Probably just be watching TV via an NTL box and SCART.

Fingers crossed it'll live up to the great reputation its got !!

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5 feet is extremely close, it has to be said. Are you sure this is how close you sit from your TV?! Going to 8 feet could make a big difference...

I'd say you'd be fine with almost all DVDs. NTL is a different story, especially as the Panasonic IMHO has poor scaling/processing. Combined with its very own poor Freeview tuner in the new Vieras for example, it is unwatchable at even 10 feet - everythings rather too sharp, jaggy and noisy. Analogue feeds fare much better as the MPEG mess isn't there to be cleaned up. Remember the PV500's are designed for high-definition, with the US market squarely in mind. Eastenders via SCART didn't feature in the plan...

A Sony KDEP37XS1 on the other hand would offer a razor-sharp, super-clean image from about 2 feet. It is awesome with its integrated Freeview. No HD though, and contrast isn't the best, but not much material is a white or black screen anyway, and there is solarisation, but this is a trade-off worth having i reckon..

My sister has a Sony KDEP42XS1 and a Viera PE30 - there is no contest when watching Freeview/Sky as to which is better, especially upclose.

7. Sunrunner

Sunrunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmmmm, I'll measure exactly tonight. I'd say its about 5 feet from the sofa to the TV at the moment, although the TV is a CRT and quite a deep Sony one at that.

The room is quite narrow, and one of the reasons for plasma is to get some of the room back !!

So what would the best way to view normal TV on the 37PV500 ?

Cheers

8. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    superpixel: I don't know if you've seen the latest Panny PV500s, but poor scaling/processing is not in my view a problem - if anything it's their major asset. I've not tried the internal tuner, and by all accounts it's not that great, but with SKY the picture is better than any other plasma I've seen (although the Fuji 50" is pretty good, too!). And that's just using a cheap scart.

9. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    5-6 feet translates to just under 2 metres. I am no expert but i think the 37 inch maybe too big from your viewing distance. I sit about 18 feet away from my 42 inch and it seems perfectly ok. That said, when the plasma arrived it seemed incredibly huge for 2 or 3 days after that it seem pretty normal.
    I suppose you will get used to it and it should all be fine!!

10. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the "oh that's too close brigade" How far away would you have to sit at an Imax screen to suit your idea of acceptable distance? maybe the next county?! :D
    With HD and good sources you can sit much closer than previously but what people often bring in to the debate is that "it looks too big for the room" well that Depends what you want, a trendy living room or a better Home Cinema experience.