Minimising Subwoofer shaking downstairs rooms?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by GAmbrose, Jun 7, 2004.

1. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I've currently got a KEF PSW 2000 ACTIVE subwoofer and it it situated above the living room. Unfortunately I am unable to crank it up very high as I tend to get complaints :)

Is there anything I can do to dampen the booming that they hear downstairs, without affecting the quality of sound I get in the room?

I've found a link to this: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/d2/page/shop/flypage/product_id/2334

Will that be any good, I've also seen Subwoofers situated on marble slabs which look pretty cool. Is that a good option? And if so where on earth do you get marble slabs?

Gary A

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Gramma is supposed to work quite well at limiting the transmission of sound down through the floorboards but more so with forward firing subs than downward firers.

Secrets of Home Theater reviewed it here

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    It is likely the sound heard downstairs is mostly conducted through the floor structure itself. So you need isolation from the floor.

Before you lash out on marble (probably at a grave headstone mason) you ought to try cheaper paving slabs. Marble has no magical properties and is quite fragile when knocked.

If one slab on the carpet doesn't help try two with a camping foam sandwich filler. You can also try chipbaord or plywood foam or felt sandwiches. No need for a fancy finish until you find the right combination that works for your circumstances.

There is quite a lot of granite about in the builders merchants & DIY superstores if you fancy an upgrade from a concrete slab that works well.

Nimby

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well I've managed to almost isolate my sub in an upstairs room, heres how; first of all I took up the original carpet but left the underlay down as it was quite thick, then I covered the floor in Thermal/acoustic isolation tiles (you can buy these from most DIY stores in large packs) On top of this I layed Gyproc Soundblock, its a form of plasterboard that comes in 1m by 3m sheets at about £8.00 each. I then screwed these boards down every 10cm or so. On top of this I had a deep shagpile black carpet fitted. The orignal floor seperated by a soft/hard/soft layer helps to stop sound transmission. For my old REL StrataIII I just used to have it on a concrete slab covered with an offcut of my carpet which seamed to work really well, but when I decided to get the PB2+, I knew I would need something much more heavy duty! What follows is what I have built which works really well. First of all the bass layer of the isolation platform is an acoustic tile, on top of this is a sheet of 18mm MDF, on top of the MDF is a second acoustic tile and on top of that is a concrete slab. This is all covered in the same black carpet which I attatched using carpet mounting tape. It works really well and I actually get a flatter response with the PB2+ than I did with the REL! I dont believe you can ever get a perfectly vibration free response when 20hz bass is involved unless you have the money to get the whole room purpose built from the ground up.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  6. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Thanks all, I went with the Auralex Gramma in the end.

Ordered yesterday afternoon and it turned up today, looks pretty cool.

Gary A

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Let me know how well it works mate?

8. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Today bought: 3 concrete beams (100cm x 15cm x 5cm) at a D.I.Y. store for 5.59 euro, got them cut to length for free(!), got 4 squashballs which I cut in half, and acquired a small (left over) piece of carpet (also free).

I got a bit lucky, as I ended up with several very friendly people offering stuff and services for free, but now I have an ultra-cheap and (from first impression) very capable sollution underneath my PB2-Plus, for less than 6 euros!! :D :clap:

If your Auralex doesn't get the job done you could give my road a try.. ;)

9. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I E-mailed Dolphin music about the Gramma and they said that it was designed with forward firing monitors in mind to provide isolation from the floar. The said it wasnt designed to stop the output of a downward firing drive unit. I find my concrete solution works well.

10. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Still seems to work though, but I'm in the process of changing my Amp and Speakers so I haven't really had much chance to give it a workout.

Gary A