Minimalist set-up (can't stand clutter)

BOBAD

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd try to post a pic. of my set up.
I'm interested in any comments you might have.

It's hard to spot in the photos, but the sofa is sitting on a 12" high decking, and the reason for this is so I can see the river traffic over the wall on my balcony,
through the French windows!

Attachments

• PicturesPana 099 (Medium) (2).jpg
    PicturesPana 099 (Medium) (2).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,040
  • PicturesPana 078 (Medium).jpg
    PicturesPana 078 (Medium).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,125
  • PicturesPana 094 (Medium).jpg
    PicturesPana 094 (Medium).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:
Decking in the living room!!:eek:

Yep. I live on the banks of the River Mersey and without the decking I can sit on the sofa and stare at a blank wall which surrounds my balcony.

Or I could fit the decking and (while sitting on the sofa,) see all the action on the river by looking over the wall.

Why the emphasis on the decking anyway? The post is supposed to be about the home cinema set-up!

Unfortunately the photo doesn't show the two Eltax Symphonie speakers which are used at the side, or the two Eltax monitors which sit on tall stands at the rear. These speakers suit the three Bowers & Wilkins 600S3 speakers which take care of left-centre-right duties. The B&Ws are expensive but worth it, as the sound is superb.

Bob.

I like that there is nothing there that doesn't need to be. I hate having too much stuff around too. Recently it has all built up on me and I am in the middle of a big clear out of all my stuff. Clutter = stress!

To California77's defense, it's not everyday that you see decking in the living room. If you called it a home theater riser, I bet no one would bat an eye. Your setup looks great, I always like to see alternative ways to place receivers and gear (your wall mounted platform).

Last edited:
Why is your sub facing the wrong way with the cables showing?

The sub is facing that way to access the controls more easily.

Being a REL Quake the speaker points downwards into the floor and if you look carefully you will see that it is mounted on a slab of granite and this improves the sound considerably!

As for your comment about carpeting, I prefer the sight of wood to carpet.
Trees over sheep anyday!

Bob.

To California77's defense, it's not everyday that you see decking in the living room. If you called it a home theater riser, I bet no one would bat an eye.

So true! Lesson learned!

Your setup looks great, I always like to see alternative ways to place receivers and gear (your wall mounted platform).

Thanks for your comments!
The platform for the amp. is made by Target and I used to use it for a Linn Sondek record deck when I was into vinyl. The platform is suspended on 4 isolating pins and allows no vibrations to reach the amp. It also allows for air to circulate freely around the amp so will prevent over-heating. The big bonus though is that I can access it (and the BluRay player underneath the amp.) without grovelling around the floor!

Bob.

Nice set up but like others, the indoor decking stunned me. If you prefer wood to wool it would have probably been a good idea to build the platfrom, cover it with ply and then lay a wooden floor. Much nicer to walk on and easier to clean. :thumbsup:

More pics inc river !! :thumbsup:

Bbnm

I'll try. Thanks for asking!

The shots of the Ark Royal and QE2 were taken from my balcony....

The room is very big and the TV appears dwarfed (it is a 50" Samsung!) maybe trick photography!

The Eltax Symphonie column is one of the side speakers.

The rear speakers can be seen over the top of the sofa. (It is a 7.1 system.)

Bob.

Attachments

• PicturesPana 002 (Medium).jpg
    PicturesPana 002 (Medium).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 139
  • PicturesPana 004 (Medium).jpg
    PicturesPana 004 (Medium).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 137
  • P1000300 (Medium).JPG
    P1000300 (Medium).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 171
  • P1000303 (Medium).JPG
    P1000303 (Medium).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 149
  • P1000305 (Medium).JPG
    P1000305 (Medium).JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 162
  • P1000306 (Medium).JPG
    P1000306 (Medium).JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Bob, you're right about the pictures being deceptive. I'd never have thought your telly was a 50 incher! The decking is very unusual and inventive too. What do your friends and family have to say about it?

Thanks, much better than a wall to ponder at, ark royal and qe2 ... old pics bac .... ! :thumbsup:

Bbnm

The sub is facing that way to access the controls more easily.

Being a REL Quake the speaker points downwards into the floor and if you look carefully you will see that it is mounted on a slab of granite and this improves the sound considerably!

As for your comment about carpeting, I prefer the sight of wood to carpet.
Trees over sheep anyday!

Bob.
Each to his own, if you are happy with it then fine but I found that hard surfaces caused too may sound reflections when I had wooden floors so its wool for me every time and besides the last time I went to the multiplex god forbid they had carpets too!!! :eek:

I found that hard surfaces caused too may sound reflections when I had wooden floors so its wool for me every time

I don't suffer from sound deflections fortunately, which might be down to the huge height of the room (and the area surrounding the decking is carpeted).

Blinds not curtains don't help, but the large sofa probably assists in absorbing sound.

Bob.

Your right man your 50" telly looks like a portable in that room.

You're right, it does but it must be an optical illusion!

If you take another look at the centre pic. in the first post it gives a much better view of how the TV looks when sitting in the sofa!

Bob.

What do your friends and family have to say about it?

They love it because it looks (and sounds) far better in the flesh than it appears in photos.

When viewing, all the bright lights are switched off and the deck perimeter is lined with blue LEDs.

Bob.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom