1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimal fighting PC games

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Astaroth, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Afternoon all

The title says 90% of what I would appreciate suggestions on - the only bit missing is saying, suggestions of games please

The missus loves playing games but doesnt enjoy the fighting/ accurate jumping/ sneaking (anything that takes fast/accurate mouse control).

I recently bought Vampires: Bloodlines and she loved the first 1/2 where there was a lot of going to talk to person X, find item for person Y etc but the later parts of the was too much about sneaking round or fighting hords of monsters which ment that I had to take over playing for her.

Suggestions of games which are more focused on the problem solving or adventure rather than actions would be appreciated

2. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Quake ......

but realistically, games like 'the sims' where designed specifically for women

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,031
    If she likes problem solving does she like strategy games, like Civilization?

Also besides the above recommended series there are some resource management games Theme eg Theme Park.

4. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    If she likes problem solving she might like to try some of the old LucasArts games like "Day of the Tentacle" and "Sam & Max" - no fighting involved at all. The older ones can be downloaded from the 'net while slightly newer ones like Grim Fandango can be picked up on budget.

EDIT: Only play if you don't mind really, really primitive graphics

For something even more up to date she could try "The Longest Journey" or Fahrenheit, which I've heard a lot of good things about. In fact Fahrenheit is supposed to be a more mature, sophisticated take on the adventure game (it has a few fast fingers action pieces though).

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    She does have roller coaster tycoon 3 and "god" games but does like the 3d adventure games like Vampire:Bloodlines or Tomb Raider (to a lesser degree) just not all the fighting or the accurate control bits. I am just struggling to find these kinds of games (guess the sort of people that enjoy the graphics and multiliniar plots also like the fighting).

I did suggest the simms but she thinks it will be boring - prefers the "darker" aspects or the idea of being a kick ass type character (if not the actual ass kicking)

Will have a look at the games you suggest Valhoudini

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Syberia and Syberia 2 are excellent games, beautiful scenery, interesting characters and storylines. Even my technophobic (female) friend enjoyed playing them!

lisa

7. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Does she like RPG's (Role playing games)? It sounds likely. Vampire:Bloodlines is more RPG then adventure (though I've heard how it tails off into action). If so, Neverwinter Nights would be worth considering - some puzzle elements and a decent plot.

Or (just thought of this and would probably be more of the blend you're looking for) Knights of the Old Republic I & II - 3d adventure/RPG games - really interesting plots and it doesn't matter if you're not interested in Star Wars (on which they're based) as the stories are so involving. Buy number I first as it's the superior game.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    She is into Star Wars so that isnt a problem - I have difficulty in knowing the different genres of games as I have only 1 game and if I play it once a session it is unusual. People talk about RPG and I think Dungeons & Dragons and lots of dice (not thats a bad thing but how they link to PC games)

Having thought of old games the likes of the first 2 DiskWorld (the Terry Prachett ones) would be perfect if there was a newer better graphics/ less "sorry you cant do that" in it as most modern games tend to be.

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Syberia 1 and 2, I think it is an RPG, you play a main character and you have to move around talking to people, solving puzzles, collecting things, it is beautifully designed, and the characters and events are very quirky. Also Broken Sword - Sleeping Dragon (or something like that) similar genre, good game.

lisa

10. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yes, I forgot about Broken Sword. A very good series of games of which Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon is the newest addition. This game belongs to the adventure genre where there's more of an emphasis on the story and plot. The game is basically used to advance the storyline. There may be a few action sequences but they're mainly used to break up the point-and-click gameplay and puzzles.

The RPG I mentioned before: Knights of the Old Republic is more RPG/adventure and involves no dice, dungeons and dragons, or spotty male teenagers (apologies to tabletop RPGers) :) Again the game is built around a strong storyline but there's more action then in the adventure games and more freedom for the player with quests (such as fetch an item or talk to a character) being used to advance the plot.

I personally prefer RPGs because adventure games require a logical mind and involve a lot of lateral thinking. That said, I haven't played the newer adventure games like Syberia II, Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon and Fahrenheit which are easier to play and are less dependent on point-and-click gameplay.