1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MiniDV Tapes - Deceptive Lengths

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by nathan_hill69, Aug 16, 2002.

1. nathan_hill69

nathan_hill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone come across this problem and any answers?

For my domestic MiniDV camera I've been Black & Timecoding the tapes on a professional Sony DV player/recorder (DSR-2000P) which I work with on a daily basis. The strange thing is that the recorded duration I get on the tapes is always under what the tapes stated length is.

For example an 83 minute length tape yields about 58 - 62 minutes true duration, and a 60 minute length tape yields around 40 - 45 minutes true duration.

I'm using professional quality Panasonic stock (for example :- AY-DVM63PQ) but cannot fathom this situation out at all.

Any clues?

Nathan

2. nathan_hill69

nathan_hill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since my last post it's occured to me that the Sony deck I'm Black and timecoding with is a DVCam deck with MiniDV playback. My question is this...

Does DVCam record information differently than MiniDV and use more tape length hence my unusual true tape durations I've been getting?

If I black & timecode (stripe) MiniDV stock in a DVCam deck and then record my footage on my MiniDV camera will this present any problems. I'm only asking as I did a test recording doing just that and footage recorded okay - any future problems though regarding deck control into my Imac?

Any advice gladly recieved.

Nathan