1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

miniDV head cleaners

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mossmanfly, Jan 18, 2004.

1. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Is it wise to get a head cleaner and if so which make? I will be getting a Sony DCR-TRV14 soon and will use Sony Premium tapes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Head cleaning tapes are only adviseable when you need to use one. Don't use one just to keep the heads clean on a regular basis as they are abrasive and will wear the heads down.
    If you can get the tape door off the cam and get at the heads directly then it would be a better idea to get some alcahole and a cotton bud as this is not abrasive. But still not a good idea to use too often.
    Any well known make of cleaning tape should be ok, but I have only ever seen Panasonic DV cleaning tapes advertised so you might be limited to a choice of 1! There again I have never really looked out for them so there might well be loads more available.

Mark.

3. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Ok thanks for the advice. I have seen a TDK head cleaner. So really on a low usage camera you may never need to use a head cleaner then? Or if you do it may be a yearly thing.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    On low usage I would say every couple of years max!
    I think most cams will ask for the heads to be cleaned when needed. Not a good idea to cleand the heads as regular general maintenence.

Mark.

5. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I suppose there like VCR heads then? Never bothered to clean any VCR and theres been no problem with them at all.

6. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    If you do clean the heads manually, whatever you do, do not use cotton buds to clean them. There is a very good chance that you will snap the head chip. If you do clean the heads manually, use lint free cotton or very fine chamois leather. Hold the cotton still and spin the heads. Cotton buds are fine for audio heads but should not be used on video heads.

All recent DV camcorders have error detection which will let you know if the heads need cleaning.

7. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I would agree with the above post.. whatever you do, don't use a cotton bud to clean a miniDV video head.... there's a very good chance you'll damage the heads....

While cotton buds are fine for analogue tape decks, video heads are much more easily damaged.

I'd either wait untill your camcorder advises you it needs cleaning (if it's a JVC grd50 it might tell you incorrectly and too often though!) then get a proper cleaning tape. But if it isn't a problem, i'd leave alone for now.