1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MiniDV compatability across cameras ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by JayX, Mar 23, 2003.

1. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    last night, me and a friend (who had borrowed a Panasonic 3CCD from his college) filmed two bands locally, and we agreed he'd have the tapes from the first band, and i'd have the tapes from the second band (as he needed to do some project work with them)

when i got home, i played back my tape in my camera (a JVC ~£500 consumer level model) and played back fine (better than i thought it would actually!) then i put in his tape...

no sound at all, and the motion was slow and jerky. "Heads Require Cleaning" flashed up on my screen, and thats all i got. should a 3CCD tape work in a normal camera? i can't see why not, so im guessing its just JVC doesn't like playing back Panasonic tapes?

i can borrow a friends Sony consumer level camera in uni, is the compatability more likely to be better on that, as i dont know anyone with a panny cam :/

2. Bram1982

Bram1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

There is no such thing as a "3 CCD Tape" - The tape is just the medium, so if it doesn't work it's probably because of a different loading mechanism... or mayb the other cam has another way of tracking the tape...

Sometimes it helps to try another brand of tape. Sony is said to give problems on some cams. Fuji should be OK

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    AFAIK Dv is a standard format that should be playable on all DV camcorders, but......

......as with all tape based recorings if there is a problem with say the alignment of the heads on one of the camcorders then you would have problems playing back the recording. This is more likely to be the problem rather than the equipment not being compatible.
    I would suggest that you try to borrow another camcorder and then experiment to see which of the camcorders has the problem.

Mark.

4. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    yeah when i said 3CCD tape, i just meant the tape from the panny. im just lazy with my text sorry :)

i managed to borrow the sony cam off a friend, and the footage plays back perfectly, so everythings sorted :) cheers