1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minidish in the Loft??

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mattym, Jul 31, 2003.

1. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi peeps, my first time in this forum..i have done a search for this topic but cant find anythiong, so apologies if its an oft-asked question

im moving soon, but the place i am moving too does not allow ANY external aerials either TV or Minidish. Simple question, can i put a dish in the loft? My year is not up with sky yet, so im going to get penalised if i cant continue the subscription. What are my options??

thanks all

matt;)

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It is possible but be aware that glass attenuates the signal.CPC sell an antenna thats very discreet - it's small rod around 18'' long iirc, perhaps someone with a catalogue handdy can look up the part number for you and you can see it on thier site.
    Welcome to the board :)

3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Judging by the problems I get with Sky digital reception with a perfect line of sight, 80%-90% signal strength and quality, I would have thought the chances of getting a signal from a dish in the loft (through tiles?) are zero.

My signal strength and quality haven't changed and I used to get no breakup and pixelation on BBC channels but now it happens all the time (and not just in rain, wind etc etc).
    I'm convined that the satellite change or BBC's new non encryption has screwed my system up.

Fed up of Maidstone!....

Simon

4. Mora

Mora
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I read a report once about a guy that did something like this.

He took out a large section of his roof, and placed the dish
    behind the glass.

This was with the old analogue system, and this guy used like a 1 metre dish.

With the digital signal ? I think the theory should still apply, a bigger dish should have more chance of grabbing a cleaner signal.

but without solid evidence that it would work, who would risk all of that work and outlay when it might not work ?
    :(

I would take the landlord to court, stating that he was infriging your human rights to watch Sky One :zonked:

Knowing that crazy Euro-Hitlers that Blair has signed away thousands of years of self independence for... you would probably win. :D

5. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I dug out a copy of the lease, and it states that the dish must not be visiable from another property, i rang the developer and they tell me that until 2008 i cant cahge the outward appearance of the property, but i can put a dish where it cannot be seen from oputside the boundries of the property. unfortunately the lady did not find it funny when i suggested a 60 ft poll.....

i will get someone in i think, the house faces south, so i may struggle to get a dish in the back, and i havent got a front to speak of :rolleyes:

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Put it on a stand behind a bedroom window:)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You could look at the range of discrete dishes (squarial, cones etc) of a ground dish but you would need a clear shot at the sat......

Try a few local installers they may have had to fudge something like this before.

8. Peter J Roberts

Peter J Roberts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question ?

Do you have a Garden ?

If so you could mount it at ground level say Behind a Bush or even on a shed.

9. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have a rear garden and thats about it, the front is nothing more than a path...i spoke to the developers about this, and they have said that basically i can put a dish anywhere i like as long as it cannot be seen from 'outside my property or from another point on the property', the property being the rectangle of land that the houses in the'estate' are built on...my house is the end terrace, and next to it is a small gap before the next 'block', i think i may be able to ge the dish round there and be hidden below fence height....

Sky installer coming to see a week saturday, and if it cant be done, sky will cance the contract and refund the £40 fitting fee as it isnt my fault that i cant continue to get a signal:D

i would rather have the option of sky though, i will miss it:blush:

10. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  11. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    ive seen these things before, worth considering too...

12. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had the same problem, and I now use a Cubsat 70 - it's a dish in a box that sits on the floor. It's a French invention I think (www.cubsat.com is mainly in French). The Satellite Company distribute them in the UK (www.bradleywood.co.uk).

No-one has a clue what it is - it can be painted if you want as well. I get about 70% signal quality and strength on both feeds, which I got by moving the dish around myself, so I expect that could even be improved with a meter.

Worth a look, if a bit pricey at £187.50, but it solved my problems.

Cheers

Simon

13. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    thanks for that, i am compilling a list of possible alternatives at the moment, i dont think im going to get an aerial in the loft either, so im going to see the developers....