Minidisc?

TopMeTom

Banned
Hi can anyone tell me about minidisc? is it a dying format,how much info can a MD take (4cd's?)how much are players?etc....etc....
Cheers,
Phil

CJROSS

MD can record up to 74 or 80 (typre of MD disc uses) minutes.
MDLP can double/quadruple this IIRC but the sound quality of MDLP is not that good.

Is it dying, no too many people have portable players etc. Really big in Japan, a great format that I really enjoy, very good for making analogue recording off nicam VCRs, like of music programs like Jool Holland.

Here is some more opinions on threads in the past here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50407
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50884

Garrett

Originally posted by philb
Hi can anyone tell me about minidisc? is it a dying format,how much info can a MD take (4cd's?)how much are players?etc....etc....
Cheers,
Phil
They are absolutely great I use mine every day. What are you interested in portable or full size? Editing is one of its strong points but is a can be a pain on a portable. Disc are reasonably cheap as 65p for 75 minutes and 80 minute ones are available http://www.kvjfairdeal.com/ and http://www.pricebuster.org.uk/WebPages/Pricebuster.htm and are better then tapes. Some people say recordable CD are better but they must have very good hearing as the difference to me is very small, although I must say may CD player is getting old. The disc themselves are very robust and you can title the tracks.

pointon

Novice Member
The (almost) perfect portable format. Also good as props in cheap sci-fi shows/movies.

rjw

Originally posted by CJROSS

MDLP can double/quadruple this IIRC but the sound quality of MDLP is not that good.
Given where I normally use my MD (walking to work etc with all it's background noises), MDLP2 is indistinguisable from a "normal" recording.

I've never tried MDLP4 as I don't really need the extra recording time it provides.

pointon

Novice Member
With MDLP4 you can tell the sound is of lower quality, and sounds you know are obviously missing. MDLP2 is great though. I can't tell the difference between this and a standard length recording. Being able to fit three or four CD's on one MD is very useful.

SOUNDSTYLE

It's perfect for recording you favourites for a compilation or a whole cd, but since I got a 'burner' and I want to make a copy of a cd I put it onto a blank cd-r.

But it is a great way to record and I would never be without it, and the quality is good aswell, but not quite as good as recording onto cd-r I find.

Well worth getting IMO.

adox

Banned
you can fit fit 4 cds on a minidisc but make sure the player you get is a mdlp so it will play them. sound quality is lost a bit, but with 2 cd`s recorded (on long play x 2 instead of x 4)the sound is great.
for portable listening it is the best format. the smallest, the most mobile, and the discs are robust and give you perfect recording no matter how many times you overwrite them.
if you are buying a minidiscman, make sure it is recordable, and buy a decent set of headphones for it.throw the ones that come with it in the bin!

adox

Banned
one other thing i forgot to say is the battery life. my minidiscman(sony, cant remember the model)takes one small battery and the battery life is very long, around 80 hours.

K

KJ_Palmer

MDLP4 is great for recording speech, eg. from the radio. I record a lot of radio plays from the BBC (Radio 3/4) on FM, and the qaulity is superb. You can get a four-part serial onto one MD with room to spare.
LP4 isn't so good for music, though handy for a travelling compilation. LP2 is much better for that, nearly as good as the original.
The editing features of MD are second to none, that combined with ultra portability, decent sound and live recoding ability means it will be a hard format to beat.
It's still very well supported in the UK, Europe and Asia, though not so well in the US, will new portables and decks still coming out regularly.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
I am buying a panasonic sjmr200 tomorrow,hopefully this is a good model?how do you tape tv progs onto them?or i am on the wrong track here?

SOUNDSTYLE

Originally posted by MrFurious
I am buying a panasonic sjmr200 tomorrow,hopefully this is a good model?how do you tape tv progs onto them?or i am on the wrong track here?
You're on the wrong track.
You can only record audio.:)

CJROSS

Yup Audio only

To record from Nicam TV broadcasts You will need to buy a full size MD deck with an analogue recording level feature. Nicam TV/VCRs have RCA audio outputs on them like CD players and you run a set of ICs from these to the MD deck or into your amp on a spare line input then, simply set MD to analogue input, hit record then adjust recording level to suit strength of signal. As I mentioned I record a lot of Nicam quality music off TV broadcasts, Jools Holland, Glastonbury, Live Concerts etc. this way lots of free music up for grabs.

Portable MD units do not have this feature AFAIK only full size decks.

You can record from different analogue inputs onto MD, ie Vinyl, Radio, Nicam broadcasts, Sat Broadcasts, as long as the source unit has RCA outputs in fact to send to the MD decks In loop.

HTHs

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Cheers for the info,does anyone know where i can buy minidisc music from?is there anywhere online,my local hmv only sell blanks!!!

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Also a great format for the car. I can't understand how MD never caught on like it should have. I have a car player, a hifi separate and a walkman. Great format.

SOUNDSTYLE

Originally posted by MrFurious
Cheers for the info,does anyone know where i can buy minidisc music from?is there anywhere online,my local hmv only sell blanks!!!
To tell you the truth I don't think the quality is that great compared to a cd.
I've bought a couple and the sound has never been perfect which is why I only buy cd's now.
I'm not too sure what sites sell minidiscs as I've never tried looking.

adox

Banned
dont bother buying prerecorded minidiscs. they are too expensive anyway. just buy some blanks and record your cds with an optical cable and you`ll have sound so good you might as well be listening to an original recording. i have my minidisc two years and have yet to buy an original recording.

Garrett

Quote: MDLP can double/quadruple this IIRC but the sound quality of MDLP is not that good.

Is this a new development as I have had one about 3 years but don’t know if mine has this function. The only way to double my time is to recorder in mono?

kelvin

Novice Member
MDLP has been around for about 18 months now(ish).

Recordings can be up to 4x the length of a standard MD (i.e. up to 320 mins with 80 min MD's) and in Stereo. Much much better than the old system of recording in Mono to extend the length of a disc. As the man says though - Sound Quality isn't brilliant in it;s longest format...

Kelvin

kelvin

Novice Member
Forgot to add... you need a compatible Deck/Portable to be able to record in LP (in case that wasn't obvious!!). Think ALL of the new stuff is MDLP out of the box...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt

Trending threads

Latest News

Sky comedy panel shows back to film new series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches MagniFi 2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung pulls out of IFA 2020?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th June 2020