1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minidisc?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by TopMeTom, Nov 7, 2002.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi can anyone tell me about minidisc? is it a dying format,how much info can a MD take (4cd's?)how much are players?etc....etc....
    Cheers,
    Phil

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    MD can record up to 74 or 80 (typre of MD disc uses) minutes.
    MDLP can double/quadruple this IIRC but the sound quality of MDLP is not that good.

Is it dying, no too many people have portable players etc. Really big in Japan, a great format that I really enjoy, very good for making analogue recording off nicam VCRs, like of music programs like Jool Holland.

Here is some more opinions on threads in the past here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50407
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50884

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    They are absolutely great I use mine every day. What are you interested in portable or full size? Editing is one of its strong points but is a can be a pain on a portable. Disc are reasonably cheap as 65p for 75 minutes and 80 minute ones are available http://www.kvjfairdeal.com/ and http://www.pricebuster.org.uk/WebPages/Pricebuster.htm and are better then tapes. Some people say recordable CD are better but they must have very good hearing as the difference to me is very small, although I must say may CD player is getting old. The disc themselves are very robust and you can title the tracks.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The (almost) perfect portable format. Also good as props in cheap sci-fi shows/movies.

5. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Given where I normally use my MD (walking to work etc with all it's background noises), MDLP2 is indistinguisable from a "normal" recording.

I've never tried MDLP4 as I don't really need the extra recording time it provides.

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With MDLP4 you can tell the sound is of lower quality, and sounds you know are obviously missing. MDLP2 is great though. I can't tell the difference between this and a standard length recording. Being able to fit three or four CD's on one MD is very useful.

7. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    It's perfect for recording you favourites for a compilation or a whole cd, but since I got a 'burner' and I want to make a copy of a cd I put it onto a blank cd-r.

But it is a great way to record and I would never be without it, and the quality is good aswell, but not quite as good as recording onto cd-r I find.

Well worth getting IMO.

8. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    So,you can fit 3 or 4 cd's on one minidisc?

9. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can fit fit 4 cds on a minidisc but make sure the player you get is a mdlp so it will play them. sound quality is lost a bit, but with 2 cd`s recorded (on long play x 2 instead of x 4)the sound is great.
    for portable listening it is the best format. the smallest, the most mobile, and the discs are robust and give you perfect recording no matter how many times you overwrite them.
    if you are buying a minidiscman, make sure it is recordable, and buy a decent set of headphones for it.throw the ones that come with it in the bin!

10. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one other thing i forgot to say is the battery life. my minidiscman(sony, cant remember the model)takes one small battery and the battery life is very long, around 80 hours.

11. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MDLP4 is great for recording speech, eg. from the radio. I record a lot of radio plays from the BBC (Radio 3/4) on FM, and the qaulity is superb. You can get a four-part serial onto one MD with room to spare.
    LP4 isn't so good for music, though handy for a travelling compilation. LP2 is much better for that, nearly as good as the original.
    The editing features of MD are second to none, that combined with ultra portability, decent sound and live recoding ability means it will be a hard format to beat.
    It's still very well supported in the UK, Europe and Asia, though not so well in the US, will new portables and decks still coming out regularly.

12. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    I am buying a panasonic sjmr200 tomorrow,hopefully this is a good model?how do you tape tv progs onto them?or i am on the wrong track here?

13. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    You're on the wrong track.
    You can only record audio.:)

14. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Yup Audio only

To record from Nicam TV broadcasts You will need to buy a full size MD deck with an analogue recording level feature. Nicam TV/VCRs have RCA audio outputs on them like CD players and you run a set of ICs from these to the MD deck or into your amp on a spare line input then, simply set MD to analogue input, hit record then adjust recording level to suit strength of signal. As I mentioned I record a lot of Nicam quality music off TV broadcasts, Jools Holland, Glastonbury, Live Concerts etc. this way lots of free music up for grabs.

Portable MD units do not have this feature AFAIK only full size decks.

You can record from different analogue inputs onto MD, ie Vinyl, Radio, Nicam broadcasts, Sat Broadcasts, as long as the source unit has RCA outputs in fact to send to the MD decks In loop.

HTHs

15. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    Cheers for the info,does anyone know where i can buy minidisc music from?is there anywhere online,my local hmv only sell blanks!!!

16. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Also a great format for the car. I can't understand how MD never caught on like it should have. I have a car player, a hifi separate and a walkman. Great format.

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

14 million units sold in Europe alone during last ten years. :)

18. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    To tell you the truth I don't think the quality is that great compared to a cd.
    I've bought a couple and the sound has never been perfect which is why I only buy cd's now.
    I'm not too sure what sites sell minidiscs as I've never tried looking.

19. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont bother buying prerecorded minidiscs. they are too expensive anyway. just buy some blanks and record your cds with an optical cable and you`ll have sound so good you might as well be listening to an original recording. i have my minidisc two years and have yet to buy an original recording.

20. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Quote: MDLP can double/quadruple this IIRC but the sound quality of MDLP is not that good.

Is this a new development as I have had one about 3 years but don’t know if mine has this function. The only way to double my time is to recorder in mono?

21. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    MDLP has been around for about 18 months now(ish).

Recordings can be up to 4x the length of a standard MD (i.e. up to 320 mins with 80 min MD's) and in Stereo. Much much better than the old system of recording in Mono to extend the length of a disc. As the man says though - Sound Quality isn't brilliant in it;s longest format...

Kelvin

22. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Forgot to add... you need a compatible Deck/Portable to be able to record in LP (in case that wasn't obvious!!). Think ALL of the new stuff is MDLP out of the box...