1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MiniDIsc for PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Radioactive__Man, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I know this is not HC, but the standard of replies from these forums is second to none so here goes.

I recently saw some info on a Sony MiniDisc player intended for use with a PC {model MDS-PC3 ]. Now I've always wondered why someone hasn't brought out a MD player/recorder that would fit in a PC drive bay, and this would appear to be the nearest thing.

So my questions are :-

1] is this the nearest to a MD that will fit in a drive bay ?

2] does anyone know how good they are ?

3] is there a site which may have a review ?

thanks in advance to all replies

2. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Radioactive_man...what would you gain from this, other than being able to record music directly onto the MD (which you could do from a decent soundcard anyway).

If you're thinking about using it for data storage...don't. Minidisc was intended for music, and the ATRAC compression algorithm is lossy...exactly what you don't need for PC data.

Why not get a zip drive?

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well, firstly I have a MD in the car, and rather than continually buring CD.s, I felt it more sensible to use a MD connected to my PC, where I store all my MP3's.

I had a Sharp portable recorder/player but couldn't be bothered with the analogue hook up, single speed recording and manual titling of tracks, so my MD in the car has been rarely used thus far.

The Sony player that I mentioned has optical and USB connectivity, so I am hoping I can drag and drop files onto MD and edit them a lot quicker, not to mention the 4X recording speed offered by this unit.

The compactness of the unit is appealing, as it should sit nicely on top of my PC, but personally I would have been keener on a unit that would fit into a spare drive bay.

If Cyrus did an MP3 unit then all would be fine, but they don't and no other player would intergrate into my HiFi setup. Which is why I want to incorporate it into my PC setup.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There were a few problems that nstopped MD from becoming PC friendly:

1) Very slow transfer rate, 140kb/s max burst.

2) Price at time of launch, MD data uses different discs to MD audio, apparently.

3) Low data storage, only 140Mb!

So it got over taken by recordable CD!

Rick

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Retro, I already have a 12/4/32 SCSI Plextor & 40X Plexwriter, but I am not so keen to continually burn CD's as I have about 20 of them floating around the back of my car at the mo'. I was interested in utilising my in car MD player hence the original questions.

I now realise the recordable MD format has been deliberately sabotaged for use with PC's, a somewhat futile attempt by Sony to stop people recording copyrighted material, as Napster has now proven!.

The spec on the unit I mentioned has a number of advantages over the earlier models as mentioned in my follow up thread, and it makes more sense to me in altering the TOC of a MiniDisc when I want to add/delete songs, rather than have a pile of unusable/aged tunes on my rapidly increasing numbers of CDR's.

6. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    P.S. yes I have tried to use CD-RW but my Sony multichanger in the car doesn't like em

7. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have a MD headunit in my last car. I got into the habit of creating a mix of songs I liked on the PC on CD-RW, and then simply hooking up my portable Sony recording MD to my soundcard and playing the CD-RW whilst recording. Tortuous I know, but it worked!

BTW, sorry about the late reply...I've been away!

[ 18-04-2001: Message edited by: KAO ]

8. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Come on guys, read the previous posts :)

It aint the cost that bothers me, it's the time involved and the legacy of old and no longer liked CD's laying around my car.

9. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I had a Mini-Disc car-stereo, until recently when it got robbed. Now I have a hole and lots of pretty wires hanging out of the dash...

The way I used to solve the time and effort problem (don't we live in a lazy-world!) was to record a Re-Writable CD of the MP3s/CDs that I wanted to listen to.

I then played the RW in the CD deck, which was connected to a Mini-Disc deck via an optical cable. Digital Cables recognise the breaks between each track, and record this accordingly - also automatically adjusting the Level Meter to keep the sound equal to the original.

I left this running over night, and come the morning I had a new Mini-Disc, and a RW ready for erasing. I didn't bother with the track titles, as I changed the music in the car quite a lot - it wasn't worth the effort.

I know it doesn't solve the problem completely, but its a start!

..And if anyone gets offered a dodgy Mini-Disk Kenwood MASK for the car in the Yorkshire area, dont buy it cos it probably was mine (and it won't work any more)......

Hope this helps,

Paul.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How blind are you people?? He's not asking that, he's tried it before!!! hrmf... Anyway. I read a review of the unot you mentioned in T3 and yes it is quite a good unit, its just the price that makes it really unattractive at around 300 quids. I wanted a similar solution, but unfortunately, in England, minidisc is not a big deal. If you go to Japan you would find that most desktop pc's sold by Sony have minidisc drives and hence the cost is cheaper. But not over here...Until a better solution comes along, get a soundcard with a spdif coaxial digital output and digitally record mp3's. (you might need a coaxial to optical convertor box though) Sorry...

11. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    At LAst, something constructive :)

best price I can find just now is £260 inclusive, if it drops below £250 soon, I might just buy it, but I've a feeling that they won't sell in large numbers in UK as you described, so maybe I'll hold out till it goes sub £200.

12. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    r u looking to have a few minidiscs to continually write over with songs?

I have recorder analogue form my pc, but the lead was very short, it took ages to record and buggered up if the pc ran out of ram or stuttered for any reason and track marks had to be added manually.

Ages ago, must have been '97 or '98, maybe even before i saw an dadvert in a pc magazine for one, but never saw them released.

I always wanted one due to the rewritability of them, 1 million+ then they couldn't be bothered coninuing discs can also be had for a quid.

Have you a url for the player?

13. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18