1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minidisc and CD analogue output

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sifowler, Dec 31, 2002.

1. sifowler

sifowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a Minidisc Portable Player/Recorder. It comes supplied with an optical lead. My problem is that my current CD player doesn't have an optical out.

I realise that I can use the analogue outs from the cd player but to what degree does this affect sound quality ?

Also, could I use the digital out from my Amp or do you have to record direct from the CD player ?

Thanks for any help.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You mentioned that your amp has a digital output,which I assume is optical...if so,you should have no problems recording to your Minidisc from that,but without knowing the amp/receiver,I couldnt say that the digital signal from your CD player is passed direct to the digital out of the amp without going through A/D and then D/A conversion.
    Even so,it should be better than relying on the Minidisc player's own A/D conversion.

Without being too disparaging about Minidisc sound(which to my ears anyway is preferable to MP3),you'll invariably get som element of compression form the ATRAC algorithm used by the player,which may well mask deficiencies in A/D and D/A conversion elsewhere.

3. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theoretically there will be some sound degredation in recording to your MD using an analogue link, whether explicitly fom your CD player, or implictly fom your receiver (assuming your CD player doesn't have a digital connection to it). This is on top of ATRAC compression degredation. I find the quality loss to be minimal, not really noticeable when recording this way - I have to do this to get round SCMS sometimes, so if you're not an 'audiophile' I wouldn't worry too much.