1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini systems... Denon vs Technics advice pls

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by converse, Oct 1, 2004.

1. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I know they aren't for the purist - and I have a lovely Technics separates system that I adore, but I need to buy a smaller system for a different place, for various reasons, anyway - exploring the mini-market...

I'm stunned to see how the market has changed since I last brought hi-fi equipment! Midi seems to have died, separates alive and well but just these mini thingies left for smaller rooms, most look nasty and no doubt sound nasty and what's with the swages of plastic and bright fluro lights?! Anyway, although haven't tried them all, I have narrowed it down to 3 hopefully non-nasty ones... £600 or less ideally...

1 - Denon 201SA with PMA-201SA Amp, TU-201SA Tuner and DCD-201SA CD player + SCM201 speakers to match (approx £600 online best price)

OR

2 - Denon D-F101 with it's matching components, would probably add a cassette deck to that as it'll be a little cheaper (approx £400 ex cassette)

(both 1 and 2 have good Hi-Fi choice reviews)

OR finally (because I have a nice Techincs already, but maybe not as good as above, it being much cheaper...)

3 - Technics SCHD560E - this probably is in a different league to the above and can be had for £300 from on-line shops too. Can't find any detailed spec expect a small set on the panasonic website, they apparantely don't have brochures either...

Any thoughts guys and gals?

:thumbsup:

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Denon DM31 : £200 Honestly, or £600 on a second hand Linn Classik. Both pretty stunning to these ears, especially the Denon given the price to performance ratio.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    also consider TEAC and new JVC with wood cones or Pure Legato if you want DAB

4. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys... So I've now added a couple more to the mix of possible ones, Yamaha PianoCraft (know nothing about this, but been researching) and the TEAC Reference systems as suggested above... seems to be well thought of...

The Denon UDM31 - So if that's another to add, I had the impression that was the base of the range, with the F101 mid-range and the 201 the current "mini-high end Denon"?

5. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Converse, i´ve recently bought the Denon UDM31 (had great reviews) and matched it with a couple of Tannoys mx1-m and it sounds very very good. It´s my bedroom system and i'm very pleased with it! I'm from Portugal and i paid for the Denon+Tannoys+QED silver anniversary around 300£! I consider that a bargain for the quality you get! The PianoCrafts and the Teac Reference are also good, but you should try to listen to the Denon with a good set of speakers! Very nice...

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I would definitely recommend auditioning the Linn Classik, blows the others out of the water.

7. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the Yamaha E400 Pianocraft is good- just like proper separates the components are individually powered :D The Denon '201 and '101 separates are individually powered too. Should be more reliable, and much better sound quality. Plus if one bit goes, disconnect it and get another!

The JVC EX-A1 with wood cones doesn't sound terribly good, and neither does the Technics to be honest.

8. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    oh, and the Sharp SDEX220 with digital amp also sounds top by the way!!

9. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great lots to go on there, trying out the Denons today, will seek out a Linn to check and hopefully the Yamaha too, kinda into the Denon at the mo, looks so lovely!