Question Mini System for Kitchen Yamaha CRX-N470 Micro Receiver or Sony MAP-S1 Multi Audio Player, with Cambridge Audio SX50 Bookshelf Speakers or Mission LX2

AreBe

Novice Member
Reaction score
New here- have sevral mid fi, and low fi projects coming up so I figured I would get the best value for my money by learning about what is available.

Today's prject is fiuguring out a streo for the kitchen.

I am replacing a Yamaha YST-99CD Natural Sound Tabletop CD Stereo System YST-99CD Radio Yamah I loved it- perfect. Sound was great. Small space. Clever design.

Remote control is finiky. Bought a third party compabiale one, works randomly- had power outttage, lost pre-sets- - need finky remote contorl to reporgam stations. This has happened before, but I need to face facts that the thing is dead.
I have plugged in a tuner into the the device's auxilory to tide me over until this COVID 19 is passed.

I am considering, but not tied, to the following: Yamaha CRX-N470 Micro Receiver or Sony MAP-S1 Multi Audio Player, Open minded to the NAD thing but it might be out of my pricepoint and strant getting too finky or complicated for the kitchen. or too expensive,.

NOTE: Black Marshal stacks are not happening. This is firm. ;-)

What counts: 1, space, 2, value for money (more than price), 3 sound, 4, ease of operation and of course, 4 price counts too- it's not a non factor-all plus tax: $500 mandaotrtoy minimum, $750 no problem, $1,000, reasoable max, $1,250 you got to sell me.

What it will be used for: 1, AM Radio - could be fatal to the Yamaha but for the fact that the main AM stations in Toronto are also broadcast digitally as I understand it. 2, Sports radio for listening to hockey, basketball, and baseball,. 3, news /talk radio. 4, classic rock, 5, classical, - OK, the Dining room is off to the side, and it is used to sort of kind of not- ideally, bring sound to the dining room too. The device will be in the kitchen and not getting separate speakers for the dining room. Not turning this into an engineering project.

I have exactly zero songs downloaded to my iPhone, but I am open to streaming possibilities. .

The device will be used every single day, and so I am prepared to pay more as it will be the most used stereo, if not an official "stereo."

This is the Sony I am thinking about. Sony MAP-S1 Multi Audio Player
Enjoy multiple playback formats and hi-res files with this easy to use and versatile hi-res audio player. Available in silver.
  • Hi-Resolution Audio Playback
  • DSEE HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine)
  • S-Master HX (Hi-Res Audio Amplifier)
  • Wireless Connectivity (DLNA/Air Play, Bluetooth)
  • Enjoy music from multiple sources (CD, USB, USB-DAC,FM/AM, MP3 player)

Enjoy a wide range of sources and functions, from CD, USB and radio to the latest versions of Wi-Fi, MusicCast, AirPlay and Bluetooth. Not only convenience, you get all the high sound quality you demand. Support for MusicCast means you can always enjoy your favourite music. And by adding other MusicCast compatible components, you expand your musical enjoyment even further. Just add speakers!

• MusicCast for expandable audio enjoyment in every room
  • Support for internet radio and various music streaming services
  • Aluminium front panel with hairline finish
  • Supports 192 kHz/24-bit High Resolution Music (Flac / WAV / AIFF)
  • Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
  • Supports Bluetooth output for pairing CRX-N470 and other Bluetooth equipped products
  • AirPlay allows music streaming from your Mac, PC, or iOS device
  • Control app for easy operation (MusicCast CONTROLLER)
  • Front USB terminal for playback of USB memory
Yamaha CRX-N470 Micro Receiver

From the Yamaha Canada web site:
Abundant Functions in an Advanced CD Receiver
You’ll enjoy a wide range of sources and functions, from CD, USB and radio to the latest versions of Wi-Fi, MusicCast, AirPlay® and Bluetooth®. Not only convenience, you get all the high sound quality you demand. Support for MusicCast means you can always enjoy your favourite music. And by adding other MusicCast compatible components, you expand your musical enjoyment even further.

CRX-N470

You’ll enjoy a wide range of sources and functions, from CD, USB and radio to the latest versions of Wi-Fi, MusicCast, AirPlay® and Bluetooth®. Not only convenience, you get all the high sound quality you demand. Support for MusicCast means you can always enjoy your favourite music. And by adding other MusicCast compatible components, you expand your musical enjoyment even further.
  • MusicCast for audio enjoyment in every room
  • Support for internet radio and various music streaming services
  • Aluminium front panel with hairline finish
  • Supports 192 kHz/24-bit High Resolution Music (Flac / WAV / AIFF)
  • Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming
  • * Music service availability varies by region and may change or be discontinued without notice.
  • Supports Bluetooth output for pairing CRX-N470 and other Bluetooth equipped products
  • AirPlay® allows music streaming from Mac, PC, iPod®, iPhone®, iPad®
  • Control app for easy operations (MusicCast CONTROLLER)
  • Front USB terminal for playback of USB memory (mass storage class)
  • Voice control using your Alexa device like Echo or Echo Dot

Speakers I am thinking :

Cambridge Audio SX50 Bookshelf Speakers
Compact 2-way hi-fi bookshelf speakers designed in the UK.

Available in black or walnut finish.

5.25” (135mm) treated paper cone woofer and 1” (25mm) silk dome tweeter.

Includes detachable grilles.

Dimensions: 8.9"H x 6.3"W x 9.4"D
Cambridge Audio SX50 Bookshelf Speakers
Or
Mission LX2 Bookshelf Speakers
2-way bookshelf / standmount speakers. Available in black.
5/5 rating from What Hi-Fi magazine.

• Bass reflex enclosure
• 130mm advanced fibre bass driver
• 25mm microfibre dome tweeter
Mission LX2 Bookshelf Speakers

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1586831269221.png
    1586831269221.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 96
This system is for the kitchen. I guess that it is unlikely that you will sit down in the middle of the speakers with tweeters at ear height to enjoy the stereo experience.
Are you going to play CDs in the kitchen, or streaming will do?
If it was my kitchen, I would buy a bluetooth speaker of good size and quality, install tune-in radio on the phone to stream online radios, and something like Spotify or Deezer to enjoy free MP3 music (shuffling existing playlists with the odd advert). No remotes, no cables, and you can easily take the speaker with you in a different room or the garden if you wish.
If you have a large CD collection, I would consider ripping it to a lossless format on a PC or NAS, and stream it to a device via airplay or wi-fi, such as a Google Chromecast Audio (discontinued) or teufel connector or Yamaha WXC 50, plus a single active speaker (or a pair), or a Bluetooth speaker with an aux input.

Thanks for the input. This is a mid fi to low fi project to be realistic. But prepared to pay a little more for vast improvement in sound. Some stereo will occur around the kitchen table. Streaming on its own will not work. Need actual radio. CD player a must- gets a workout Christmas season. I need the radio too. Thanks for the input .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom