1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MINI SURVEY

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Blade, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you pay £18 for a DVD like, say, Gladiator, U571, Patriot etc (in other words a title you really want) if you were guaranteed to get it Fed Ex'd (i.e. you MUST sign for it) on or before the Friday before it's scheduled released date - assuming that's a Tuesday - which it normally is?
    The DVD e-tailers try hard to get the lowest prices, but some people will pay more to get the disk quicker.
    Are you one of them?

2. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blade

18 squid is not a bad price but borderline for whether I would or not.

Hmmmm.....maybe on 'big' releases I really want NOW. To be honest though I would be more interested in the fact it was guaranteed delivery within a few days at an OK price as I seem to be having increasing problems with this with several dealers at the moment.

Tough call. £16/17 would be a 'YES'.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very rarely (ie T2:UE, The Conversation, Jaws and a few others) yes, I'm willing to pay £18.

Saying that, most Region 1 discs are costing around £18 now anyway (give or take £1-2 in most cases). So £18 could be a good price if it's Fedexed.

Starting a business Blade? [​IMG]

Gary
    A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

My DVDs
    [​IMG]

4. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 things to leanr from this, I feel
    1) moderation in and of this forum is a good thing
    2) perhaps it's worth paying an extra quid for Fed Ex delivery cos you then don't go through the hassle of a DVD not arriving and Movietyme don't lose the cost of a DVD in the process.

5. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I would and do pay slightly extra. I got MI2 yesterday from a place I used when I used to get Laserdiscs. I got a bit stung 20.99. But I'm not really bothered I feel a bit flush at the moment. I ordered it on Wednesday at 1:30 in the afternoon and received it at 9:00 next day.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    £18 would be a good price. Fair and fast.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

7. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not starting a business. I've been asked for some advice by a relatively new e-tailer who sell region 1 discs Fed Ex'd for £19. I told them I thought that they'd do pretty well if they could guarantee delivery for the weekend before the release date (which they usually do) and dropped their price by a quid.
    I'm trying them out myself and hopefully getting MI2 later today.

8. neilbennett

neilbennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And their URL is ?

9. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.wmdvd.co.uk
    Note that their question was an exploratory one and they don't currently GUARANTEE such delivery times.
    My question - this mini survey - relates to whether my advice to them is generally right. I think people will pay a bit more for prompt delivery with a signature.

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 27-10-2000).]

10. RobT

RobT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The £18 part is okay if bundled in with FedEx. The only problem is the FedEx part. I work so I can't sign for it if I'm not at home... And as for delivering at my work - that's out as even work-related orders can go AWOL in this place. I don't mind waiting a few more days anyway so guys like Play247 are okay (and you save a couple of pounds on Gladiator). What about a bigger saving on the DVD price if you're willing to go for regular post?

Plus with the Royal Mail it's much better just having the postie squish it through your letterbox or picking it up from the sorting office down the road if necessary.

Cheers

11. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well it depends. Before using Play or Movietyme is was normal for me to spend £22 for each DVD I purchased as I did not know about these cheap online retailers.

For cases like Gladiator, yes I am paying £20 to get it two whole weeks early. Mainly because I am rather impatient. I really look forward to geting top quality DVD's. Other movies, NO WAY!

If you buy 4 DVD's cheaper you could get the equal to one free than if you got it from a more expensive place.

By the way I deleted my Movietyme and Play post as I did feel it was harsh on the companies. Seeing as Movietyme have now issued me a Replacment Toy Story which arrived Today. Movietyme really are good, I just tend to say bad things when I am a bit angry. After all its not their fault the package got lost. I blame that on the Royal Mail! But thats another Story all together!

12. YETi

YETi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would pay more if that guaranteed an early delivery of a film I just had to have, however this is not the case for every film that is released.

13. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'd pay £18 every time if it meant getting a big release 1 or 2 weeks early. Only the big releases though. I paid £18 for M:I-2 from Futureent and I recieved it in just over a day, yesterday. More than happy with that.

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I don't really care about getting it a week or two before US release. I enjoy getting discs for films still doing the UK cinema circuit (Stuart Little, Stir of Echos etc).

I'm a bit disappointed a lot of discs seem to be released in the UK the same time or very near to the US release date. It's taken alot of the fun away for me.

I would pay extra as long as I was guaranteed delivery in a day or two. They'd have to deliver to my work as well. I don't want to have to pick the package up from a depot 10 miles away on a Saturday before 9:30am!

15. hank hill

hank hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a bit expensive,you can get gladiator from video-now fro £16 incl. postage and they dispath the disc before it is released.

you may get it a few days after the official release date, but this disc is expensive by their standards. Most are usually around £12/£13. for a few days, you could save 2 thirds of a dvd

------------------
    I'm gonna catch them sucka's if its the last thing I ever do.

16. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would not be prepared to pay £18 on a regular basis for DVDs. My average purchase level appears to be around £15, i.e. I have payed as little as £9 for some and as much as £17. I buy mostly R1 but I won't pay a premium to get it early. I usually only buy a disc if the movie is uncut and anamorphic so how long it takes to get it is not so important.

17. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,462
    Not sure but it depends on the film, on the whole I think no, i would go for the cheapest every time. Its not that I cant afford them its just that im non too bothered about the wait. Most of the films I get I dont watch for a few days til after they arrive anyway so it makes no difference.

If the company was the cheapest I would use them, but I prefer to have excellent customer service and a good reacord of service from who I buy from rather than a low price. Thats why I use Play.

18. ROGER B

ROGER B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BLADE,

Thanks for the tip on wmdvd. i ordered my copy of mi2 today. should have it by wednesday latest.

nice thank you email for the order too

i,ll let you know when i get it how fast they are.

cheers

roj

19. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    No I wouldnt be interested ...
    Being an Orthodox Titearse I prefer to get my stuff from one or two dependable etailers for the best ie lowest price ...
    I do buy new stuff but I am quite happy to wait for it to be generally available ...

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

20. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,462
    Roger B.

I should also have my MI2 my Wednesday, but I used www.play247.com

They posted in friday !

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being the impulsive buyer that I am, the credit card was out so fast, it was a blur. One copy of MI 2 please. Having now just reached the 50 R1 titles mark having a break from Movietyme and Play 247 is pretty refreshing. I would definately pay £1 - £2 extra to be able to turn round to my mates and give them the fingers as their jaw hit the ground. If West Midlands come thru with a prompt delivery, what more could you ask for?

22. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes. I think if they advertised it as their main aim, they'd do well. A company who guaranteed my DVD for the weekend before release would keep even me happy.

------------------
    "Open the safe paps. If you don't open that on the count of three, 1, 2, - fudge Me"
    Website coming soon

23. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,462
    noticed anything on news about any rain latlely,

i bet even noah had to wait

24. RobT

RobT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, though saying that, I ordered the Toy Story box set from Play on 28/10. It was posted 30/10 and I still don't have it for the weekend.

The Royal Mail really pi** me off sometimes.

Cheers

25. RobT

RobT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough but the rain didn't stop the postie who tried to deliver it on Friday, to wait till Saturday morning, 15 minutes before my local sorting office closed, to drop a card in through my letterbox saying he wasn't able to deliver it on the Friday.

If they can't get a signature, why can't they drop the "missed you" card in that day instead of waiting til the next day to let me know they couldn't deliver it, delaying my receipt of the package even more.

Future Ent's "No sig necessary" looks better by the second...

Cheers