• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mini Subwoofers?

neildono

Standard Member
I have a Sony STRK880 AV Receiver/ Amp with 5 Mordaunt Short surround speakers connected. It has a Subwoofer phono socket, but at the moment nothing connected to it (on the advice of the sales assistant who said we wouldn't need one).
I'd like to get a sub, as i feel that bass is lacking, but space is an issue so I can't have any of the bin sized objects.
There are plenty of micro Speaker/ Subwoofer systems around for PCs like this:
JBL Spot 2.1 Speakers - Interchangeable Black & White: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Firstly, would these subs work on a home amp?
Secondly, would the resulting sound quality make the overall sound worse not better.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
The sub/speakers in your link is far from a proper sub, and it wont run from the single sub pre-out socket on your amp. In short its not what your looking for, wont work as you intend and will sound carp, probably worse than what you have now by a fair leap.

The BK Gemini suggestion is the kind of thing your looking for, and it cant be beaten for the price. You should be looking at this kind of sub for your setup. Anything that under the price of the gemini just isnt worth adding to your system as the quality will be too poor and your speakers will likely be just a bassy.

witwald

If your loking for a small decent subwoofer than something like the BK Gemini would probably suit you very well.

Seems like a reasonable sort of subwoofer. It also uses a closed-box enclosure, so the subwoofer's transient response should be quite good. The 10" driver with a 2" voice coil should be able to move a fair bit of air. The 2nd-order roll-off will also provide a reasonable degree of low-frequency extension, even if the cut-off frequency is somewhat higher than a similar size vented-box subwoofer.

The filter frequency display panel seems like a good idea too. It will hopefully make setting up the subwoofer a little bit easier.

Does anyone know what the -3 dB low-frequency cut-off frequency is for the Gemini subwoofer (the one with the 10" driver, as earlier models seemed to have an 8" driver)?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom