1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini portable amp

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mattross, Jul 16, 2005.

1. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've already browsed hundreds of pages on Head-Fi and got swamped in information. Does anyone here use a portable amp for their Shure E5Cs?

I find that the sound quality is nowhere near its potential from the line out or headphone out of my iRiver compared to my GSP Solo on my Hi-Fi. I'm comparing them to the Koss KSC-35 I also use on my iRiver and they sound very similar directly connected to the iRiver. So I think I might need a mini amp to improve its potential.

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I don't usually use portable amps since I find that the decrease in portability isn't worth the improvements if the portable source is carefully chosen. I assume you have an H300 or an H100.

One of the problems is that many amps/sources hiss with the E5. The Meier Audio Porta Corda, while good sounding, hisses with the E5 as do many others. Xin's cheaper amps can be made not to hiss if you tell him that you'll be using the E5 so that gain can be adjusted accordingly. Similarly with the PIMETA amps being made by many DIY'ers... a gain adjustment will stop hiss, and I like the PIMETA design as it's good for the money. I bought a couple of Norm's amps a while back and he did a great job on building it and asking me what needed to be done to the amp to suit my needs before I brought it up. He's stopped building a variety of amps, but he's still doing his go-vibe. The go-vibe has adjustable gain at the build stage so you can tell him you have an E5.

If your budget stretches slightly further, the Xin SuperMacro would be a good partner for the E5. For the best-made amp, the prize has to go to Ray Samuels with the SR-71. The build quality is immaculate and does a very good job of amping without adding nasties in the sound.

3. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mattross, checkout the portable headphone amps gallery; that will make your search 100 times easier..:) There are several new portable amps coming out over the next few weeks/months from Larocco, Ray Samuels, Rudistor and HeadAmp. We're also in design stage at the ipod studio on a new portable known as the ISA Diablo. That will be a rather unique design and will incorporate certain features never tried on an amp which is about the size of a packet of cigs..So keep your eyes peeled; it's a good time to buy a portable amp! :D

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    A better place to look would be head-fi. Plenty of people who have user's opinions on amps.

5. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...extemelydoggy..read the posts, there's a good boy:

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Ah. Duh :p

Well, be more specific when posting "which amp" on Head-Fi then :D It's still the best resource... looking at pictures of amps isn't ultimately that productive.

7. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, but if you want info on portable amps you'll get plenty at the ipod studio, as well...Many of the amp makers have their own forums at IS which means you can communicate with them directly whenever you like and they often impart the most accurate info concerning their own products.

I tend to do like this: whenever I decide it's time for some new equipment I'll search or browse the galleries to find out what's available out there. There are links to the manufacturers underneath each image, so I'll then flip over to the homepages to read up some more. Once I've isolated those pieces I'm interested in, I can then ask for more info from the members. Works for me and thousands others... ;)

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Oh certainly, a manufacturer's input is valuable.

But listening to / going to a website run by someone who has a vested interest in promoting said manufacturers is also somewhat of a liability, no?

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think we've been over this ground previously,with both of you.

Ipod's site has been discussed withe the forum administrator previously also,and given the relatively small overlap between his and ours,there has been no problem or complaints.

Given the past history between you two,let's stop this here.