Mini PCI-e SATA SSD

majnu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these Mini PCI-e SSD's any good? Or is a conventional SSD better for using purely as an O/S?

Arent they very very expensive? But I think their read write is very very high, or am i thinking of conventional pci-e attached storage?

£26 for 16Gb just by doing a Google search and clicking on the first link. I don't know if the company is reputable however.

KingSpec 16GB Mini PCI-e SATA SSD - Free Shipping

It's read/write is 90/30 so they are pretty terrible, i think this must be what they include on cheapy netbooks.

A decent SSD's read/write will be 500/500, that speaks for itself really :).

I thought you were on about these-

Solid State Drive, SSD, Hard Drive, Kingston Memory, OCZ Technology, Corsair Memory - Scan.co.uk

Was wondering where you got a few grand for a hard disk from :laugh:

You can pick up a 64gb m4 for 60ish quid.

Can't go wrong with that as an os drive.

I wouldn't touch that 16gb thing, for just over double the price you get an m4, no contest. CLICK

Last edited:
Cheers, I guess I was intruiged by it. As I watched a review of the new Asus Rog boards and they had a connector for one of those drives.

Cheers, I guess I was intruiged by it. As I watched a review of the new Asus Rog boards and they had a connector for one of those drives.
Quite a few have mSATA for use as a cache drive with Intel's Smart Response Technology.

The Mini PCI-E isn't for SSD's, it's for wireless cards etc.

The mSATA on the other side is for SSD's, you can actually run one as your boot drive :smashin:

I've looked into it as I fancy the Gene V, it's a SATA II card, so you'd need something like this OCZ 60GB Nocti mSATA SSD - Solid State Drive - NOC-MSATA-60G - Scan.co.uk

Plenty of mSATA SSD's about, I'd consider one as an SRT cache drive, or even as a boot drive, just a shame it's not SATA III.

Skip to 6:00

Yeh I think it's mSATA.

It's both - mPCI-E on one side, mSATA on the other. :smashin:

Last edited:
ROG boards are the sexiest motherboards out there....

Oh and forget using ssds as a cache drive, while it does boost performance, better to just wait and get an ssd as an os drive.

Go BIG or go HOME :laugh:

Using ssds as cache drives was a selling point when ssds were new and pricey and you had 30 odd gb ssds. Nowadays with the prices of 60 and 64gb ssds it makes no sense

The Mini PCI-E isn't for SSD's, it's for wireless cards etc.

The mSATA on the other side is for SSD's, you can actually run one as your boot drive :smashin:

I've looked into it as I fancy the Gene V, it's a SATA II card, so you'd need something like this OCZ 60GB Nocti mSATA SSD - Solid State Drive - NOC-MSATA-60G - Scan.co.uk

Plenty of mSATA SSD's about, I'd consider one as an SRT cache drive, or even as a boot drive, just a shame it's not SATA III.

Maybe just me but I don't see the point in using the one you linked to as an os drive, when you could get an m4 which has slightly more storage, is faster, likely more reliable and cheaper.

Last edited:
i dont understand, its read and write speeds arent fast enough to warrant making it a cache drive, not like a proper ssd, or am i missing something

Personally I'd rather have one of those ROG tablecloths. Anyone know where to get one from? ;)

Maybe just me but I don't see the point in using the one you linked to as an os drive, when you could get an m4 which has slightly more storage, is faster, likely more reliable and cheaper.
Could be useful in small systems with limited space, other boards have the same mSATA port but mounted on the board itself, obv there isn't room on an mATX board to have it mounted there.

If it was SATA III then it'd be a lot more useful though.

Could be useful in small systems with limited space, other boards have the same mSATA port but mounted on the board itself, obv there isn't room on an mATX board to have it mounted there.

If it was SATA III then it'd be a lot more useful though.

Yeah true if space was an issue it could be useful .

Even if the speeds were lightning fast I still wouldn't see the need for one personally.

I think others feel the same way too, they're certainly not common on builds :laugh:

Last edited:
i dont understand, its read and write speeds arent fast enough to warrant making it a cache drive, not like a proper ssd, or am i missing something
If you use it as a write-back cache then as it's tracked on the LBA level then you aren't limited to the access times and slow write speeds of small amounts of data at that time.

You see similar gains with reads for the same reasons (access times and slow read speeds associated with small files).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom