• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mini PC For Basic Gaming ???

Witterings

Established Member
I'm looking to buy a Mini PC mainly as a Media Server and was looking at a Beelink Gemeni X55 although I think they've been discontinued but gives an idea of the sort of spec / what I was looking to spend.
Beelink X55 Review - An Intel Gemini Lake mini PC Tested with Windows 10 and Linux

Whilst I'm sure it'll cope with all my media requirements, would I be able to do some basic gaming on this or will it just be constantly buffering.

I've never really got into gaming before so would like something that'd give me an intro to it to see if I enjoyed it (whilst covering my media server needs) and if I did and wanted to do it more seriously would buy something more gaming specific in the future ... does this offer a cost effective option to at least give it a try.

If anyone has suggestions of alternatives that cost a bit more and would be better suited without going to the Intel Hades cost bracket ... especially if it could be upgraded at a later stage ... would be much appreciated.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I would say no: Graphics Card Comparison - Head 2 Head
I had the Intel 620 in my laptop, and it struggles with almost all newer games at 720p to hit over 30 fps.
Have you considered a Xbox/PS4 with a plex server?

Witterings

Established Member
Have you considered a Xbox/PS4 with a plex server?

No I haven't as I have no idea what they're capable of ...... I've just bought a T95Q .. and whilst it's a great little box the thing I want to be able to do most is download BBC Iplayer / transfer videos to it from a laptop on the network but there's no write access so you can't and hence why I'm looking at a Mini PC as an alternative .. but thought I may fancy trying a bit of gaming as well :) but at entry level.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom