Mini Marty: Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax (Build Thread)

Where did you get them from please? Can you attach a link please.. I was thinking of making my own pads from the 0 grit fine steel wool but might be better purchasing the actual thing.. Cheers [emoji106]
the ones I have are https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/abrasive-hand-pads-sponges/0693983/ which I came across as a result of another youtube vid on oil application, I've also used them with a block for the purpose shown in the vid of knocking back specks of dust but generally these are more like finishing pads. I think the ones in the vid are more like https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/abrasive-hand-pads-sponges/6195974/ though rs has a whole raft of such things available in that section (https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/abra...anding-sharpening/abrasive-hand-pads-sponges/)

the ones I have are https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/abrasive-hand-pads-sponges/0693983/ which I came across as a result of another youtube vid on oil application, I've also used them with a block for the purpose shown in the vid of knocking back specks of dust but generally these are more like finishing pads. I think the ones in the vid are more like https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/abrasive-hand-pads-sponges/6195974/ though rs has a whole raft of such things available in that section (https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/abra...anding-sharpening/abrasive-hand-pads-sponges/)
Thank you @mattkhan much appreciated.. I think these grits are 600 grit.. I may just stick with the zero grit steel wool as that's very fine.. Thanks for the links though.. I will look into it properly when I get home [emoji106]

Teaser :

Sanded (light strokes) with sprayed soapy warm water and 320 grit sand paper, then used 0000 grit steel wool in circular motions to complete and buff it up... Result is beautifully crafted and finished matt black mini marty [emoji23][emoji106].. All that's left now is internal wiring and installation of the actual driver.... To follow shortly but for now here are some pics of the final finish....
IMG_20180205_101040388.jpg
IMG_20180205_101047993.jpg
IMG_20180205_101056492.jpg
IMG_20180205_101116454.jpg
IMG_20180205_101128041.jpg

Completed.. Just under a months of hard work and all completed.. I quickly tested a couple of movie scenes and the bass is mental.. Proper tight and loud, feeling in your chest type of bass.. Initial thoughts are.. Awesome [emoji106][emoji106]

I need to get REW up and running and see what the graphs show also need to do setting on the inuke 6000dsp and anthem calibration.. Won't be for a few days though as I'm working till Thursday... Here are some more pictures showing the subwoofer last stages and the subwoofer in place...
IMG_20180205_131717542_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20180205_132032982.jpg
IMG_20180205_132036969.jpg
IMG_20180205_134449200.jpg
IMG_20180205_140631614.jpg
IMG_20180205_145158451.jpg
IMG_20180205_152728048.jpg
IMG_20180205_152832865.jpg
IMG_20180205_152851340.jpg
IMG_20180205_152927539.jpg
IMG_20180205_152940379.jpg
IMG_20180205_153742173.jpg
IMG_20180205_153819616.jpg

Look forward to playing with REW and see what it sounds like when I do the calibration with my Anthem ARC.. I didn't limit the inuke at all and crancked the volume to full just to see what lights go off.. maximum 3 lights lit up in heavy bass scenes and the excursion was really awesome too .. There was alot of air being pumped out the ports.. The port system really works well.. I won't obviously have the gain/volume knob at the front any more than 3 o'clock but not sure if there is any point of limiting the wattage in the inuke software as I don't believe it being 3000 watts per channel anyways..... any ideas? I may limit still limit it to 1500 and have the gain on full at the front.. I think I will really have to play around to get it fine tuned and understand whats happening. I don't really see any point in changing the fans either, despite already having them here with me. 1 it will void the warranty and 2 I can not hear them anyway as the inuke sits in a closed cabinet with an open back so the airflow is still good whilst in the cabinet and I can not really hear anything from where I sit and especially when a movie is playing.. I will see how I feel after a week or so and if I am happy I will return them back to amazon and get a refund as I haven't opened them yet..

Awesome build, looks as good as a commercial sub. Well done. :smashin:

I would advise against keeping the gain knob on max as it will likely compromise your S/N ratio.

I personally wouldn't set a limit in the Inuke other than the HPF. It won't give out enough power to bottom the driver IMO. Id leave the gain on the inuke to around 3 o clock and let anthem do the rest!

Cheers guys for the support and great feedback.. Here's another shot showing the seating area, projector and Atmos speakers [emoji4][emoji106]
IMG_20180205_213236817.jpg

Cant wait to tackle atmos and surrounds etc. Also want to upgrade the AVR. Been eyeing up the Marantz line. Although I must sort the subs out first. One thing at a time I guess! Might get it finished someday. Although it has become clear to me with this hobby there is no ultimate end. Always new gear always room for improvements. I'm sure you'll enjoy the sub though! Time to relax and watch some bassy films. For now...

Cant wait to tackle atmos and surrounds etc. Also want to upgrade the AVR. Been eyeing up the Marantz line. Although I must sort the subs out first. One thing at a time I guess! Might get it finished someday. Although it has become clear to me with this hobby there is no ultimate end. Always new gear always room for improvements. I'm sure you'll enjoy the sub though! Time to relax and watch some bassy films. For now...
Cheers Liam, I am sure you will get there in the end. Yes you are right, it seems like there is no end to it but I am content and complete with my set up... atleast for now anyway :) lol.. Over the moon with my processor and power amps so that's all good, over the moon with speakers so that's also all good.. I would say the only thing I can think of will be a JVC or possibly a Laser Epson projector for me next but I can not see that happening anytime soon.. I am more than happy with my current Sony and my MadVR settings on my HTPC.. Picture is pin sharp and clear and the black around the screen really help with the image contrast and makes it pop.. So my next upgrade if you like will probably be my HDMI cables and projector but as above I really can not see that happening anytime soon :) .. Good luck with the new build and I would definitely reccomend the Marantz, they are one of the leading in the market and you definitely can not go wrong ... :)

Any chance of some more videos to whet our (my) appetite??
No problem at all but it won't be till the weekend as I am extremely busy at work and won't even have time to set up the subwoofer.. Hopefully at the weekend I'll try to post the graphs from REW and re run a calibration and post those too.. Stay tuned :)

However my initial impressions of a 10 min quick and dirty demo yesterday on completion with Unbroken (2014) opening scene and John Wick (2014) Red Circle Club scene were simply amazing and very impressive.. I didn't want to try much more content before I set up the sub properly as I didn't want to cause any harm..

Also played curtain shaker and bass I love you and the Dayton really likes to move lol..some serious air was being pumped out of the ports.. Not really seen any subwoofer move like her lol my previous Monolith was no slouch but it has a very stiff 12 inch driver and you could barely see it move.. Maybe the Dayton will be a bit more relaxed when setup properly in a few days but it's just so sexy lol (I know I'm sad like that lol).. Looks like a beast sat in the corner.. I purchased a 90 degree elbow convertor for the speakon connection that goes into the back of the subwoofer so that should allow me to push it a little more back towards the wall..

Mate if you decide to build a subwoofer the Dayton would definitely be the way forward.. They are very highly regarded in the USA and on AVS forums also on here too... I was quite fortunate as there seemed to have been a discounted price of $290 when I purchased it.. It seems to have gone up slightly.. All the best..

Stay tuned for some graphs in a few days... [emoji106]

Came across this video on YouTube and this guy puts the inuke 6000dsp on a Amp Dyno AD-1 to find out what it really is putting out.. Seems like at 4ohms (which my Dayton Ultimax is set to) it's pumping 2200 to 2400w so maybe I should set the limiter within the software to about 1500w and dial in the front gain dial to around 3 o'clock to start off with and figure it out from there on... Also set the HPF to 17hz with the trick playing with the EQ filter..

I'll let Anthem do the rest when I run ARC calibration..in terms of setting the subwoofer level within the Anthem.. That should give me a good indication where the gain dial at the front of the inuke 6000dsp should be placed...

so here is the video if anyone is interested and the test starts from 2mins into the video [emoji106]

Last edited:
I did some quick settings on the inuke software today.. I set the gain knob on the front of the inuke to full and limited the power to approx 1600w. Also applied the filter to 17hz and upped the gain by 3db..I haven't seen the light go anymore than 2 lights.. Not sure if I should up the wattage at all or try a different setting? Also would you say the gain at +3db is safe? I mean I watched the hulk scene in the end and the bass was seriously chest thumping.. I feel that my neighbour definitely may be feeling the vibrations through the wall [emoji23].. Please see attached pictures for reference..
IMG_20180207_151807544.jpg
IMG_20180207_153356980.jpg
IMG_20180207_151835799.jpg

You're fine boosting by 3 as the HPF brings the gain down by 3. As long as the top clip light isn't coming on you should be fine and can probably turn it up a little. What volume was the receiver on when playing TIH?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom