Question Mini itx now gone to Micro itx

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Schumi 01, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Schumi 01

Schumi 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Evening all, i have been thinking about building a Mini Itx Pc, i know it's not going to be cheap. but i can use my Graphics card and poweer supply from my current build, this will be the first time i have bought parts to build , previous unit was pre-built but i i have changed cases over the past year.

Would one of you kind folk, check these parts i have in mind, and if any of you have recomedations on differnet parts then be my guest, or even talk me out of it lol, i am currently running an i7 with a msi 1080ti gaming x on an ultrawide monitor.

Thanks

Screenshot (11).png

2. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    What I7 are you running now , 6700/7700 or older?
    Is this just going to be used for gaming ? and or editing as well ?

3. Schumi 01

Schumi 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Hi sykotik, i currently have a i7-4790k cpu @ 4.00ghz, if i could find a mini itx board for the 1150 cpu, i would keep the cpu and that would really keep the cost down, i just use it for gaming , it was a bit overkill when i had the pc pre-built.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  4. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    If it's just for gaming have a look at 8600/k , that will save you a few quid ,
    and the difference between the 8700k and 8600k isn't much at all when it comes to just gaming ,
    you could probably get away with a b360 mobo too which would save a few extra quid to go with the 8600 ,
    if your not into overclocking , or not bothered this time around .

i went from a 4790k overclock at 4.7 and a 1080ti (OC'd) last November to the 8600k and z370 with the 1080ti , and i was disappointed with the results..
    i was expecting a lot more , but to me there wasn't much in it , don't get me wrong frame rates went up , but not as much as i was expecting.

5. Schumi 01

Schumi 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Thanks again, been weighing up the options, even though i really like the look of a mini itx build, i am a bit worried about the cooling side of things, maybe i shall take a look at a Micro itx build, yes will definitely look to a cheaper cpu. I think there will be a lot of thinking going on for the next month or two.

Many thanks again.

6. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I've just done an ITX build, I went from an i5-4690 to an i5-8400. The machine is just for gaming so 6 cores is more than enough and I saved a few quid by moving my 980ti to the new build.. all works really well so far, not a massive boost in performance but will keep me going.

Couple of notes on your parts list..
    - If you shop about you might be able to get a cheaper ITX board but the one you've gone for is pretty decent (I got one from the same product line).
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...fl_title_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

ASUS ROG STRIX H370-I GAMING ITX Motherboard for Intel LGA1151 CPUs - 90MB0WE0-M0EAY0

- Id swap out the cooler for something like an AIO. The one youve picked is pretty big all round so you might find you cant get the side panel back on (or its a tight fit) and general work on the PC will be a pain in terms of getting your hands around the cooler. My last couple of builds have used a Cooler Master Seidon 120v which has worked out great.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Radiator-XtraFlo-RL-S12V-22PR-R1/dp/B00N93KIES/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1530792854&sr=1-1&keywords=cooler+master+seidon&th=1

- If your current PSU is old, you may want to consider getting a new one. Thats more of a personal preference, also modular PSUs are handy in cramped spaces but not essential with that case.

- The case is nice, if you want an alternative I would recommend the Phanteks Evolv ITX. Its usually around the £60 mark and is a spot on ITX case. The build I did recently was in a CM130 which is a pretty small case but fits nicely on my desk (See pics below)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phanteks-M...1530792831&sr=8-1&keywords=phanteks+evolv+itx

In terms of Temps, working in smaller cases is no different, if you get the right cooler for the cpu and keep the cables inside managed, you'll be fine.

IMG_20180623_192020.jpg 20150803_201716.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  7. Schumi 01

Schumi 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    @mozza54

Many thanks for that informative post, it is very usefull indeed, there area couple of things you mentioned i could cut back on, i totally agree that cooler is rather big indeed, was looking for an AIO cooler, and i will for sure check that one out.

That Phanteks case looks very nice indeed, it does throw a spanner in the works, which is fine. Ah great i didnt realize that the temps would be ok if i get the right combo, plenty to think about which is a nice thing , saves me just jumping in head first.

Again many thanks for taking time to post, it really is much appreciated.

8. Schumi 01

Schumi 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Ok, been looking all weekend, and decide to go with a Micro ITX build, a little bit more room than a Mini itx build, hopefully this is the list of parts i need, decided to go aircooled instead of a AIO. If anything doesnt look right let me know.

One is slighty more expensive than the other due to the Motherboard.

Again thanks for your time. Screenshot (15).png Screenshot (16).png

9. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    looks fine to me , the only difference i see is the MSI PRO AC has wifi .
    do you need wifi ?
    or is it going to be hard wired ?

Also it's a Pre-order item , your not in a rush to put it together are you ?

10. Schumi 01

Schumi 01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Ah cheers sykotik, thanks for that bit of info, i didn't realise that the wifi bit is more or less the only difference, nope hard wired it will be so i can save a few more pennies by going with the other Motherboard.

Many thanks indeed to both of you who helped me out.