Mini Ipod connection to car CD.

C

cool hand luke

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect my mini Ipod to my car CD player for playback?

Griffin do a mini iTrip for FM transmission. If you have an Aux socket on your head unit you culd use a phono cable to link between the headphone socket of the iPod and the head unit. Does it have a line out underneath like it's big brothers? if so that is another way to link with the head unit.
You could also use a cassette link from the head phone socket.
In fact I would suggest that it is the head unit that is going to give you more problems than the iPod.
Try this site for some ideas:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/

I've got a mini itrip and I can't for the life of me get it to work without loads of interference. I use a old fashioned tape with a headphone cable.

If your CD player doesn't have external inputs, you can't use it (unless you fancy opening the box and adding your own).

The iTrip does seem to have interference problems in some cars (noisy power steering I think). It's partly because it's such a weak FM transmission. There's a new FM transmitter called Airplay just out that looks like it might be worth a try (although its transmission are probably no more powerful than ther iTrip's):

http://www.xtrememac.com/adapters/airplay.shtml

One of the FM transmitter adaptors that enclose the iPod might be better option. They have more powerful transmitters. I have the PodGear CarDock FM, which is OK (but by no means hi-fi - but this is in a car, after all):

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/.../category_id/a8cb013923875898f601498f8aa49a9f

The best answer may just be to buy a new car from either BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, Nissan, Alfa Romeo or Ferrari, as they're all integrating the iPod into their fitted audio systems. Try getting that past the missus though...

Alternatively buy an Alpine head unit (HU) and get the ipod interface fitted which means you can control the ipod from the HU. I believe Pioneer will be introducing their version soon as well.

I can recommend the Cardock FM. It not only lets you play thorugh a radio connection on your car radio, bit it also charges and holds the ipod at the same time.

Don't know if its any use but Halfords are selling the Alpine Mini iPod system in stores for £169.99, thats for a new Alpine Head Unit and Adaptor etc.

you might be able to find it cheaper online but the thing that makes me want to go for one is they are offering Free fitting worth £80.

:) hope this helps

Simon Donn said:
I can recommend the Cardock FM. It not only lets you play thorugh a radio connection on your car radio, bit it also charges and holds the ipod at the same time.
Me too. It's a much more powerful transmitter than the iTrip, so seems to work even with fairly strong interfering radio station signals in the area. I've had mine set at 88MHz since I bought it and I haven't experienced much interference at all.

It's convenient, in that the iPod is held securely too. The only drawback is that it may not fit in all cars, as it depends where the cigar lighter socket is in relationship to the gear lever. It works well in my car, for example, but in the missus's the gear lever hits it.

I borrowed a friend's mini-iTrip and had interference problems as well. I've gone for the Belkin Tunebase/cassette adaptor combination and has worked very well, sound quality pretty good and obviously no interference. Goes nicely into the cig lighter, the steel tube is rigid enough that it doesn't bounce around but flexible enough to get the unit positioned away from the gear level, and recharges the mini-iPod whilst driving. Not a bad solution for 30-odd quid.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom